[GUIDE] Desire Z/G2 Rooting and Flashing Firmware for Noobs

Search This thread

W3D3

Jun 2, 2011
Villach
Hey guys, i rooted my Desire Z with these Tutorials out there and i recognized not everything is that clear and easy to understand if you are a noob like me with this stuff. First i want to say that im from austria and so please ignore when my english is not that good.

Now just start here. When you are done with that all you can have any rom running on youre phone, but i recommend the ones designed for the desire z.

>>> Click here to read the full tutorial on my website with fast download links. ;D

!!! BEFORE YOU START YOU MUST CREATE A BACKUP OF ALL YOR DATA YOU HAVE ON YOUR PHONE !!!
Don't worry, youre friut ninja scores are still on feint. :D

1. First you will have to install ADB. If you have it skip that part.
Just head over here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Download the .zip archive and extract "android-sdk-windows" to C:\
Now run SDK Manager.exe and let it install everything. This could take looooong hours...

2. Now you have to check the infocid of your Desire Z. Make sure the developement mode is turned on (USB-Debugging).
Open up a cmd window on your PC (Windows Key + R and type "cmd") and type:

Code:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem boot

If your INFOCID doesnt match the following you'll need a goldcard to continue (Get it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832503 ).

Code:
HTC__001
HTC__032
HTC__E11
HTC__203
HTC__Y13
HTC__102
HTC__405
HTC__304
HTC__A07
HTC__N34
HTC__J15

3. So now you have to download 3 Files:
>>> http://wede.devftw.com/downloads/psneuter
>>> http://www.multiupload.com/A9PNGVBWBE
>>> http://www.multiupload.com/9L618DJVR6

Broken link? Click here: W3D3 @ devFTW

IMPORTANT! When you save psneuter remove the txt file extention, it should hav none!

4. Extract the file misc_version from misc_version_01.zip (just downloaded in step 3). Just ignore the rest. Put that file to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.

5. Get the PC10IMG.zip from here: http://www.multiupload.com/GH26HXLLES

6. Now you open the cmd again and type following commands: (type cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools first if youve closed the window)

Code:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb  shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell

7. Congrats if you now see a #! You now have root access.
If you see a $ something went wrong here. Just go back to step 1 and check youve done everything right.

8. Beside the # type:

Code:
/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.33.405.5
exit

9. Now copy the 1.34.405.5_PC10IMG.zip to youre phone's SD card (Download in step 5) and rename it PC10IMG.zip

10. Now boot youre phone's bootloader with following commands:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Or you can just switch youre phone off. Switch it on again while you press the power button and the trackpad together.

You now see the bootloader screen with the 3 android skaters on the bottom.

11. Select BOOTLOADER.
Wait a few seconds.
Then the Bootloader will load our PC10IMG.zip
When asked for update press VOL UP to confirm.
Now wait and restart your phone when prompted.

12. When you check your version at your phone now it should say "1.34". Youre desire z is now downgroaded.

13. Enable USB-Debugging again.

14. Extract the contents in root.zip to the platform-tools folder.

15. Now type that in cmd:

Code:
adb install AndroidTerm.apk
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb push gfree /data/local/tmp/
adb push rage /data/local/tmp
adb push root /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
adb push su /sdcard/
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/

16. Start the new app "Terminal Emulator" on your phone and type:

Code:
/data/local/tmp/rage

After a while you'll see the message: "Forked [number] childs"

Press MENU > reset terminal
The terminal will close.
Start it again. It will force close.
Start it again. You should see the # sign again.

Beside it write following:
Code:
/data/local/tmp/gfree -f

After that type:
Code:
/data/local/tmp/root
sync

This will root your phone. When you get that message "mkdir: /system/xbin already exists", don't worry everything is ok.
After that restart your phone.

17. Install ROM Manager from market. Install The ClockworkMod Recovery.
After that you should go to "restart to recovery-system"(or similar) and from there you chose Backup/Restore and create a backup from your current rom.
(Note that you chose with the trackpad in Clockwork and not with the power button like in the bootloader)
When that's done you can come back to that status everytime you want.

(How to Restore when something isnt working:
- Start the device with trackpad holded.
- Chose Fastboot in Bootmanager. (if he asks for update again you forgot to remove the PC10IMG.zip from your SD)
- Chose Recovery
- ClockworkMod Recovery will show up
- Go to Backup/Restore and chose your Backup to restore
- Done. )

18. In RomManager chose Download ROM or install from SD card when you've found a ROM you like.

19. When it's done loading and there is a small window with 3 points make sure the 3rd AND the 2nd is chosen! if you forget to chose the 2nd point youre phone will make bootloops!

ENJOY your rooted DESIRE Z!

(Credits go to g4rb4g3 for the great solution of downgroading)

Please hit Thanks if you liked the Tut. :)

Last edited:

killswitch11

Apr 1, 2011
Portland
The visionary-gfree no-adb method is awesome.. used it myself. But doesn't really apply to the Desire-Z, which is what the OP has.

W3D3

Jun 2, 2011
Villach
I heard that there is a high brick risk using visonary?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

W3D3

Jun 2, 2011
Villach
I permrooted my desire z with the tutorial above and everything is working fine - i tried visionary before but didn't worked for me.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
How different is this from the guide in the wiki?

Hi!

It's similar to the wiki method but uses older versions of the tools and some tools and procedures are redundant (i.e. using psneuter for temp-root to downgrade but rage for temp-root during the gfree procedure).
If you know how to use adb, follow the wiki, if not follow the visionary temp-root plus gfree guide that is somewhere around here.

Have fun - Guhl

ElNiNi0

Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

I got a question before I jump off the bridge and root/flash/stress.

My phone is still on the branded bellmobility firmware, but it is unlocked. Since I only want to get rid of bell stuff and install an official HTC WWE ROM, do I have to follow your guide and root the phone to flash it ? Or can I follow only the flash part and flash an official ROM without rooting ?

Thx

smokeuout

Jun 1, 2011
If u dont want to permroot but u want roms I suggest u at least temp root using visionary, z4root, or one of the othrr one click methodz. If u browse the forums people have gottin into trouble not bein rooted. Then if u dont like it u can reboot and itll go back

W3D3

Jun 2, 2011
Villach
Hi,

I got a question before I jump off the bridge and root/flash/stress.

My phone is still on the branded bellmobility firmware, but it is unlocked. Since I only want to get rid of bell stuff and install an official HTC WWE ROM, do I have to follow your guide and root the phone to flash it ? Or can I follow only the flash part and flash an official ROM without rooting ?

Thx

You can also use temproot which means that you can use all the root functions (flashing included) till you reboot.
I thought of that method before but when you wanna play around with the different roms to find out which is the best permroot would be great. (Look @ the guide)
I dont know much about temproot so just head over to another thread in xda to find out more about that method.

Its your choise.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
My coworker recently got a replacement G2 and it shipped back to her with 2.3 on it. We're just wondering if we're able to use the same perm root process that we used for my girlfriend's G2 (2.2)

Hi!
No, the 2.3.3 version that T-Mobile/HTC are shipping as replacement (by accident) are not rootable at all (at the moment).
There is currently no published temp-root method for this release and therefor it can also not be S-OFFed or perm-rooted.
Have fun - Guhl

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Whippler

Apr 3, 2011
I have been thinking about rooting my desire z for a while now, just made a backup.
got the android sdk, and adb working, but i cant get the infocid, "fastboot oem boot" doesn't work? why? what to do?

well just skipped the part, worked just fine whit out goldcard. i'm rooted now :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, i rooted my Desire Z with these Tutorials out there and i recognized not everything is that clear and easy to understand if you are a noob like me with this stuff. First i want to say that im from austria and so please ignore when my english is not that good.

Now just start here. When you are done with that all you can have any rom running on youre phone, but i recommend the ones designed for the desire z.

>>> Click here to read the full tutorial on my website with fast download links. ;D

!!! BEFORE YOU START YOU MUST CREATE A BACKUP OF ALL YOR DATA YOU HAVE ON YOUR PHONE !!!
    Don't worry, youre friut ninja scores are still on feint. :D

1. First you will have to install ADB. If you have it skip that part.
    Just head over here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Download the .zip archive and extract "android-sdk-windows" to C:\
    Now run SDK Manager.exe and let it install everything. This could take looooong hours...

2. Now you have to check the infocid of your Desire Z. Make sure the developement mode is turned on (USB-Debugging).
    Open up a cmd window on your PC (Windows Key + R and type "cmd") and type:

Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem boot

If your INFOCID doesnt match the following you'll need a goldcard to continue (Get it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=832503 ).

Code:
    HTC__001
    HTC__032
    HTC__E11
    HTC__203
    HTC__Y13
    HTC__102
    HTC__405
    HTC__304
    HTC__A07
    HTC__N34
    HTC__J15

3. So now you have to download 3 Files:
    >>> http://wede.devftw.com/downloads/psneuter
    >>> http://www.multiupload.com/A9PNGVBWBE
    >>> http://www.multiupload.com/9L618DJVR6

Broken link? Click here: W3D3 @ devFTW

IMPORTANT! When you save psneuter remove the txt file extention, it should hav none!

4. Extract the file misc_version from misc_version_01.zip (just downloaded in step 3). Just ignore the rest. Put that file to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.

5. Get the PC10IMG.zip from here: http://www.multiupload.com/GH26HXLLES

6. Now you open the cmd again and type following commands: (type cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools first if youve closed the window)

Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
    adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
    adb  shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter
    adb shell

7. Congrats if you now see a #! You now have root access.
    If you see a $ something went wrong here. Just go back to step 1 and check youve done everything right.

8. Beside the # type:

Code:
    /data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.33.405.5
    exit

9. Now copy the 1.34.405.5_PC10IMG.zip to youre phone's SD card (Download in step 5) and rename it PC10IMG.zip

10. Now boot youre phone's bootloader with following commands:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Or you can just switch youre phone off. Switch it on again while you press the power button and the trackpad together.

You now see the bootloader screen with the 3 android skaters on the bottom.

11. Select BOOTLOADER.
    Wait a few seconds.
    Then the Bootloader will load our PC10IMG.zip
    When asked for update press VOL UP to confirm.
    Now wait and restart your phone when prompted.

12. When you check your version at your phone now it should say "1.34". Youre desire z is now downgroaded.

13. Enable USB-Debugging again.

14. Extract the contents in root.zip to the platform-tools folder.

15. Now type that in cmd:

Code:
    adb install AndroidTerm.apk
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
    adb push gfree /data/local/tmp/
    adb push rage /data/local/tmp
    adb push root /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
    adb push su /sdcard/
    adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/

16. Start the new app "Terminal Emulator" on your phone and type:

Code:
    /data/local/tmp/rage

After a while you'll see the message: "Forked [number] childs"

Press MENU > reset terminal
    The terminal will close.
    Start it again. It will force close.
    Start it again. You should see the # sign again.

Beside it write following:
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/gfree -f

After that type:
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/root
    sync

This will root your phone. When you get that message "mkdir: /system/xbin already exists", don't worry everything is ok.
    After that restart your phone.

17. Install ROM Manager from market. Install The ClockworkMod Recovery.
    After that you should go to "restart to recovery-system"(or similar) and from there you chose Backup/Restore and create a backup from your current rom.
    (Note that you chose with the trackpad in Clockwork and not with the power button like in the bootloader)
    When that's done you can come back to that status everytime you want.

(How to Restore when something isnt working:
    - Start the device with trackpad holded.
    - Chose Fastboot in Bootmanager. (if he asks for update again you forgot to remove the PC10IMG.zip from your SD)
    - Chose Recovery
    - ClockworkMod Recovery will show up
    - Go to Backup/Restore and chose your Backup to restore
    - Done. )

18. In RomManager chose Download ROM or install from SD card when you've found a ROM you like.

19. When it's done loading and there is a small window with 3 points make sure the 3rd AND the 2nd is chosen! if you forget to chose the 2nd point youre phone will make bootloops!

ENJOY your rooted DESIRE Z!

(Credits go to g4rb4g3 for the great solution of downgroading)

Please hit Thanks if you liked the Tut. :)