[TFQ][ROOT]Root Method[4.3][4.4][COOPTX]UPDATE

Search This thread

Cooptx

Jul 28, 2012
Houston, Texas
Lol5i2dT

Okay, so I have tested many different root methods on my Moto G. Somehow I managed to screw them all up! So here is how I got my root working. This method should work on Jelly Bean AND KitKat. This is my first guide, so if anything is missing, please notify me. DON'T GUESS! ask others for clarification. So far this is a Windows guide, I am unsure if this will work on Mac or Linux...

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Notice: None of these files are my own, not even the method. I just took different files and methods and messed with them until I was able to get root.

Okay, so here we go.

Files Needed:
My root tools
ADB Tools - make sure to add to your Window's Path (step 4 and on)
Moto G drivers

Be sure to place "supersu.motog.zip" on the root of your device

Directions:
1)Unlock your bootloader
2)Reboot into Bootloader
3)Flash Logo Fix
4)Flash TWRP or CWM
5)Reboot into Recovery
6)Flash "supersu.motog.zip"
7)Reboot

Indepth Look:
UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER
Follow this guide from Motorola

REBOOT INTO BOOTLOADER
1) Type mfastboot reboot-bootloader into Command Prompt and hit enter

FLASH LOGO FIX
1) Type fastboot flash logo logo.bin into Command Prompt and hit enter

FLASH RECOVERY

If on JB 4.3
TWRP
1) Type mfastboot flash recovery trecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

or

CWM
1) Type mfastboot flash recovery crecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

If on KK 4.4
TWRP
1) Type fastboot boot 44trecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

or

CWM
1) Type mfastboot flash recovery 44crecovery.img into Commander Prompt and hit enter

REBOOT INTO RECOVERY
1) Press the volume down button
2) Press the volume up button

FLASH "SUPERSU.MOTOG.ZIP"
1) Wait for screen to time out
2) Awaken device with the power button
3) Tap "Install"
4) Select "supersu.motog.zip"
5) Swipe to install
WARNING! The touch screen will be buggy. Just try the best you can. It is possible to install the zip, I have done it. Good luck!

REBOOT
1) Reboot your phone

[CREDITS]
Motorola - for Moto G
Google - for Android
Redmond Pie - for ADB setup guide

@lost101 - for Moto G USB Drivers
@oasoas014 - for 4.3 Bootloader
@paulobrien - for "supersu.motog.zip"
@a1Pha - for TWRP & CWM
@ffosilva - for Logo Clean Up
@danger2u - for trying with CWM
@Paulskiii - for skipping JB Bootloader flash first :p Brave man right here.
@daothanhduy1996 - for getting me into Android!
@lokeshsaini94 & @Lifehacker7 - for reminding me that who cares about warranties? Root that phone! :p
Message me if I used your work and forgot to credit you!

Last edited:

robagp

Mar 31, 2013
Works! Rooted on 4.4 ota xt1034 thanks!

you write "4) Select "supersu.motog.zip" "

but where is it? I cna't find on my phone.
If I need to transfer what I downloaded, I don't know how.
I can't transfer to my phone, because I can't chose on usb mass storage , because that is nowhere.
I downloaded, the widget, but it works only rooted device...
I try turn off, and plug usb and turn on, but I don't have usb mass storage nowhere.

Sorry but this 4.3 system is strange to me.

Reactions: Fernandacheder

danger2u

Jan 24, 2010
you write "4) Select "supersu.motog.zip" "

but where is it? I cna't find on my phone.
If I need to transfer what I downloaded, I don't know how.
I can't transfer to my phone, because I can't chose on usb mass storage , because that is nowhere.
I downloaded, the widget, but it works only rooted device...
I try turn off, and plug usb and turn on, but I don't have usb mass storage nowhere.

Sorry but this 4.3 system is strange to me.

working with CWM 6.0.4.5
just flash this with the comand
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then boot into recovery and install Super su

recovery here
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/10346740/file.html

Reactions: Fernandacheder

Cooptx

Jul 28, 2012
Houston, Texas

danger2u

Jan 24, 2010
Added this information to OP, and added CWM recovery.img to my zip file. Thanks!

if u flash the bootloader for 4.4.2 after u installed root u won t be able to boot into recovery clockworkmod
so u need to stay with 4.3 bootloader to making work the clockworkmod
we need a fix for 4.4.2 bootloader

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

I really REALLY appreciate this, but I'm really hoping for a way to Root without unlocking

there is no way untill now

Last edited:

FiliBrushedRed

Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Sorry, but one of the reasons for the bootloader is to prevent root. I don't think anyone's has rooted with a locked bootloader

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Since this is a Motorola thing, there's no way of getting warranty back right? Not even relocking... I'm considering on doing it... (Sorry I come from Sony Ericsson devices which I used to relock and voila, warranty is on)

Reactions: thuybang

nupi

Dec 11, 2010
Lol you mean for this phone right? Phones I used before tend to have root and 2nd int well before unlocked boot loader

sent from the kitty kat Atrix HD Maxx

I find it doubtful that anyone will bother with 2ndinit and other irritating hacks if you can unlock the bootloader so trivially.

root without unlocked bootloader generally requires an exploit to be found in Android (or potentially a driver) and those have gotten increasingly more rare...

denzel09

Jun 28, 2009
Teheran
Sorry, but one of the reasons for the bootloader is to prevent root. I don't think anyone's has rooted with a locked bootloader

It's possible for other phones with bl locked. Boot from recovery, w/o flash it, only boot from a custom recovery, from here flash su zip.
I read here that on 4.3 using one of the modaco guides, omitting unlocking bl part, someone rooted his phone w/o unlocking bootloader.
In one of the first topic in this section.

rockknee

Apr 13, 2013
Masku
It's possible for other phones with bl locked. Boot from recovery, w/o flash it, only boot from a custom recovery, from here flash su zip.
I read here that on 4.3 using one of the modaco guides, omitting unlocking bl part, someone rooted his phone w/o unlocking bootloader.
In one of the first topic in this section.

Shouldn't be possible. Like walking through locked door...

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol5i2dT

Okay, so I have tested many different root methods on my Moto G. Somehow I managed to screw them all up! So here is how I got my root working. This method should work on Jelly Bean AND KitKat. This is my first guide, so if anything is missing, please notify me. DON'T GUESS! ask others for clarification. So far this is a Windows guide, I am unsure if this will work on Mac or Linux...

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Notice: None of these files are my own, not even the method. I just took different files and methods and messed with them until I was able to get root.

Okay, so here we go.

Files Needed:
    My root tools
    ADB Tools - make sure to add to your Window's Path (step 4 and on)
    Moto G drivers

Be sure to place "supersu.motog.zip" on the root of your device

Directions:
    1)Unlock your bootloader
    2)Reboot into Bootloader
    3)Flash Logo Fix
    4)Flash TWRP or CWM
    5)Reboot into Recovery
    6)Flash "supersu.motog.zip"
    7)Reboot

Indepth Look:
    UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER
    Follow this guide from Motorola

REBOOT INTO BOOTLOADER
    1) Type mfastboot reboot-bootloader into Command Prompt and hit enter

FLASH LOGO FIX
    1) Type fastboot flash logo logo.bin into Command Prompt and hit enter

FLASH RECOVERY

If on JB 4.3
    TWRP
    1) Type mfastboot flash recovery trecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

or

CWM
    1) Type mfastboot flash recovery crecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

If on KK 4.4
    TWRP
    1) Type fastboot boot 44trecovery.img into Command Prompt and hit enter

or

CWM
    1) Type mfastboot flash recovery 44crecovery.img into Commander Prompt and hit enter

REBOOT INTO RECOVERY
    1) Press the volume down button
    2) Press the volume up button

FLASH "SUPERSU.MOTOG.ZIP"
    1) Wait for screen to time out
    2) Awaken device with the power button
    3) Tap "Install"
    4) Select "supersu.motog.zip"
    5) Swipe to install
    WARNING! The touch screen will be buggy. Just try the best you can. It is possible to install the zip, I have done it. Good luck!

REBOOT
    1) Reboot your phone

[CREDITS]
    Motorola - for Moto G
    Google - for Android
    Redmond Pie - for ADB setup guide

@lost101 - for Moto G USB Drivers
    @oasoas014 - for 4.3 Bootloader
    @paulobrien - for "supersu.motog.zip"
    @a1Pha - for TWRP & CWM
    @ffosilva - for Logo Clean Up
    @danger2u - for trying with CWM
    @Paulskiii - for skipping JB Bootloader flash first :p Brave man right here.
    @daothanhduy1996 - for getting me into Android!
    @lokeshsaini94 & @Lifehacker7 - for reminding me that who cares about warranties? Root that phone! :p
    Message me if I used your work and forgot to credit you!
    I uploaded a TWRP build that is fully functional on 4.4 bootloaders to the TWRP thread.

No need to downgrade your bootloaders any more.

ALSO:
    No need for mfastboot, normal fastboot has worked fine for me for all purposes so far, at least on my Linux boxes.
    You don't need to flash recovery, you can just boot it using "fastboot boot <image file>"
    I have another method. This method doesn't require you to flash a custom recovery so you can keep the stock recovery if your just wanting to root.

1. I'm not sure if it will work without the bootloader being unlocked because I just did it without testing first. I hope someone can try this without unlocking the bootloaders if not, follow the OP and unlock the bootloaders, install drivers and adb.
    2. enable usb debugging in developer settings
    3. download the recovery you want to use. I prefer TWRP. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2759058
    4. download SuperSu and copy the zip to your sdcard. http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip

in a command prompt where ever and however you have adb and fastboot set up on your pc.

enter the following to reboot your phone into fastboot.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader.
    To boot a custom recovery without actually flashing it.
    Code:
    fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot customrecovery.img
    TWRP or CWM will boot and you can flash the Superuser zip and still retain your stock recovery so you can still install OTA updates.

OP... Please feel free to add this to the op if you would like.
    Thanks and Happy Modding! :good:
    I wish one dev could find an exploit in stock rom so that we could have root without voiding warranty. Root and exposed framework would be more than enough of an experience on stock rom for me.

XT1033 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
    No, just be mindful of what you are doing and understand how the other side feels about it. I am glad that you made the toolkit. It helps some how just want root and leave. A cmd method allows other users to learn how and why something is working. I am just here to help people achieve their goals and learn along the way. You are here to make thongs fast and easy. Two different goals. Bottom line, don't come to my thread and tell people to use a toolkit if they are having issues some people want to learn. You can come and help give people tips and help with using a command window if you like.

You are right... We are here for help.. Sorry for the post...

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

I like how you guys worked it out.