[Root] WeakSauce APK - 1.0.1

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
WeakSauce and Firewater have been patched on the latest HTC builds, the current solution is SunShine http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792487

WeakSauce is an exploit for some HTC devices. It will not work on all HTC devices, if it crashes or doesn't make su available, then it isn't compatible at this time, and I have no interest in adding compatibilitiy. At the time of release, I confirmed that it was compatible with the HTC One m7 & m7 on Verizon. Those are the only two officially supported devices. Yes it will work on other phones, and is worth a try. It will also crash on many, and some it will appear to work and won't. I am not fixing this at this time.

Since this app is just so easy to use, and I am tired of off topic posts, I am closing the thread. If you can not figure out how to use it, ask elsewhere.

This app may not be redistributed, integerated in a toolkil or script, or sold in any way.

It gains root, mounts a new xbin containing busybox, and su. While it is designed for the Verizon HTC One m7 and m8, it will work on other HTC devices as well. It is a crapshoot depending on both model, and sometimes on firmware version. This exploit will re-root your device each boot. You only have write access to /system/xbin with this exploit.

Donations for this project can be sent to -> HTCWeakSauce@gmail.com

Credits:
vuln - jcase
exploit - jcase & beaups
icon - mattlgroff
Dr_Drache - lots of testing

Installation:
Install the WeakSauce app, run it hit agree.
Then install SuperSu from the market https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu
On boot (well about 30 seconds after full boot), WeakSauce will re-root your device.

Unroot:
Uninstall app, uninstall SuperSu do a hard reboot (adb reboot)

Update:
Uninstall app, Uninstall SuperSu, do a hard reboot (adb reboot), reinstall app, re-root, reinstall SuperSu app.

Trouble shooting:
Uninstall WeakSauce
Uninstall SuperSu app
do a hard reboot (adb reboot)
reinstall WeakSauce
re run WeakSauce
reinstall SuperSu app
then ask for help on XDA (This means don't email me for help on this topic).

ChangeLog
Fixed supersu updating
Updated supersu su binary
Fixed replacing xbin at boot
Added more compatibility for older models

S-Off:
Gain root with weaksauce
use firewater (http://firewater-soff.com/)
uninstall weaksauce
flash custom recovery
flash supersu or superuser

Attachments

• WeakSauce-1.0.1.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 746,321
Last edited:

whskytango

Feb 24, 2014
Bay City
Worked like a charm! I will send a donation to the email above after I post this :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

ty9edyhu.jpg

Getting force closes on my M8, however its the international model. I don't want to unlock the bootloader until we possibly have S-Off so shame this doesn't work.

You have the international model but are using Verizon forums for root? Oo Don't the other methods work for you?

Installed, and rooted. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
The phone is write protected. So all changes on reboot are reverted. We need S-OFF for full root.

sean67854

Mar 9, 2013
Can anyone verify this root method allows you to get around the entitlement check to use hospot on an unlimited plan?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WeakSauce and Firewater have been patched on the latest HTC builds, the current solution is SunShine http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792487

WeakSauce is an exploit for some HTC devices. It will not work on all HTC devices, if it crashes or doesn't make su available, then it isn't compatible at this time, and I have no interest in adding compatibilitiy. At the time of release, I confirmed that it was compatible with the HTC One m7 & m7 on Verizon. Those are the only two officially supported devices. Yes it will work on other phones, and is worth a try. It will also crash on many, and some it will appear to work and won't. I am not fixing this at this time.

Since this app is just so easy to use, and I am tired of off topic posts, I am closing the thread. If you can not figure out how to use it, ask elsewhere.

This app may not be redistributed, integerated in a toolkil or script, or sold in any way.

It gains root, mounts a new xbin containing busybox, and su. While it is designed for the Verizon HTC One m7 and m8, it will work on other HTC devices as well. It is a crapshoot depending on both model, and sometimes on firmware version. This exploit will re-root your device each boot. You only have write access to /system/xbin with this exploit.

Donations for this project can be sent to -> HTCWeakSauce@gmail.com

Credits:
    vuln - jcase
    exploit - jcase & beaups
    icon - mattlgroff
    Dr_Drache - lots of testing

Installation:
    Install the WeakSauce app, run it hit agree.
    Then install SuperSu from the market https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu
    On boot (well about 30 seconds after full boot), WeakSauce will re-root your device.

Unroot:
    Uninstall app, uninstall SuperSu do a hard reboot (adb reboot)

Update:
    Uninstall app, Uninstall SuperSu, do a hard reboot (adb reboot), reinstall app, re-root, reinstall SuperSu app.

Trouble shooting:
    Uninstall WeakSauce
    Uninstall SuperSu app
    do a hard reboot (adb reboot)
    reinstall WeakSauce
    re run WeakSauce
    reinstall SuperSu app
    then ask for help on XDA (This means don't email me for help on this topic).

ChangeLog
    Fixed supersu updating
    Updated supersu su binary
    Fixed replacing xbin at boot
    Added more compatibility for older models

S-Off:
    Gain root with weaksauce
    use firewater (http://firewater-soff.com/)
    uninstall weaksauce
    flash custom recovery
    flash supersu or superuser
    Hold up...Im sorry but this does not make one bit of sense. How is a GSM version of the HTC One M8 going to help you and us all with achieving S-Off (Security Flag-Off) and a unlockable bootloader. Verizon is CDMA number 1. Secondly, the way Verizon locks down bootloaders and S-Off is massively different from any network. Thirdly, how is buying a GSM Unlockable boot loader going to help us?? Seems like we just bought them a incompatible free HTC M8 just for there pleasure. Sorry if Im sounding mean and/or disrespectful, not my intentions, but this was a half root process that has been rewarded just like the LG G Flex which was just rooted without a unlockable bootloader, and no type of recovery in sight. Make a long story short it just does not make any sense whatsoever.

As my old southern mother would say, "Bless his heart" (Imagine 70yr old southern grandmother in passive aggressive mode trying not to be insulting, read it in that voice).

I just dropped an exploit that is easily valued at 5-10k USD on the open market. I would have asked a minimum of 10kusd from a customer. Feel free to reference any published material on this subject, I'm actually quoting low according to others. I got nothing free, I lost out at the benefit of the community.

This is no "half root", this is an beautiful and smooth exploit. Heck it runs from an app. No such thing as "half root", or "temp root". Root is root user, root is root.

The way a Verizon HTC device is locked compared to a GSM (AT&T in this case) device is, well 100% identical. They both store the SECU_FLAG (And unlock) on the same partition, both run on nearly identical hardware, both employ the same methods of protecting sensitive partitions.

Long story short, you lack the knowledge in this area to comment accurately on the subject, and you should not have. Your comments came out blatantly rude and aggressive. Everything you said was wrong, you effectively called me a thief.

Bless your heart.
    $150 sent. Support your developers. Don't be a leecher.

Is there something that stops you from having to launch SuperSU and update the binaries after every reboot? Everything is working fine but I'm needing to to launch/update each time.

I'm going to by m8 now, will fix. Easy fix

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Assuming s-off becomes stable, I won't be fixing the su update issue, as it works enough for s-off purposes.