Keeping Goats with Cows? What to feed them?

Laci7210

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I have one cow that is a runt and is only about the size of a Nubian goat. I am planning on getting two weaning does (Nubian) around August and put the cow in with them. What should I feed the three? I'm going to take the goats to a local farm to get bred yearly so there won't be a billy living with them. Can the cow eat goat feed? I have hay to provide them but I don't know what grain they need. We make a grain for the cows that is ground hay and corn mixed. Can the goats eat that? Any additional info on Nubian goats and raising them with a cow would be nice since I have not had goats before. I plan on milking them also. Thanks!

Goats can and do eat cow feed. The ration I fed my dairy goats was very similar to the ration fed to dairy cows. I bought my grain from the same mill the cow dairymen did and I bought my alfalfa hay from a cow dairy.

Thank you Cassie! How much grain and flakes of hay should I give each goat and how much should I give the cow? She does not need to stay fat because she will just be a pet. How much do you guys think the trio will cost monthly? Thank you!

I always fed mine all the hay they wanted. If they are not pregnant or milking, once they are mature they really don't need grain. I fed my growing goats about a pound of grain daily. I have no idea how much it would cost for the trio because I don't know what feed costs are in your area. However, I have found that anything, anything at all, always costs more and takes longer than I anticipated. That is just a fact of life. Oh, and put out a salt block.

Ok so the goats and cow can both eat the salt block? Would the goats still need minerals?

I have a 30ft X 50ft lot where grass is growing for them to live. It is attached to the barn where I can make them a pen to go in. Will they eat all of the grass down? Is that big enough?

Square bales of hay are $4 around here. 50lb sacks of feed are around $7 for the feed we make and $17 for purina goat feed. Can they eat the ground feed year round or should they have purina goat chow when in milk? Thanks for all of the advice!!

I sometimes used to just feed COB, which is corn oats and barley. But then I fed alfalfa which has a high protein level. For salt, I just threw out an iodized salt block for everybody, meaning, goats, cows, and sheep. Purina feeds are good, but they are expensive. They can eat the ground feed as long as they have hay too. That goes for the cow also. Rumenants (sp) need roughage so their rumens function properly. The cow can eat the same minerals as the goats.They tend to eat them as needed. If they need the minerals they eat them, if they don't, they don't. The goats may or may not need grain in addition to your feed mix. Depends on how heavily they are milking and their condition. Some Nubians tend to get a little chunky if fed more concentrates than they need. As for the grass, the cow will eat a lot more than the goats will. Cows are grazers, goats are browsers, meaning they like brush. They will eat grass but they much prefer your prize rose bushes to the best grass ever grown.

Ok that is very helpful! So you don't think it will turn into a dirt lot? I have a horse pasture that's a few acres that has 3 horses in it. It has a small wooded place. If at all possible the goats could go in there occasionally. Not sure if the fence can hold them though.

I'm going to get weanlings if I get them so at that age are they easy to train the lead? Are they stubborn? Thank you!

A 30 X 50 lot is liable to turn into dirt just from the wear and tear of the hoofs if nothing else. Are goats stubborn? Sometimes. It isn't difficult to train them to lead, though. For one thing, they are smart. For another you are bigger and stronger than they are.

Thank you! Sorry for all of the questions!! I've almost got it all figured out!!

I have been trying to think of a place to keep my turkey that is away from my chickens and I was thinking about putting my turkey in with the goats and cow..? I only have one turkey which is in the brooder still. I will soon get a couple more but can the turkeys live in the lot with the 3? Thank you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom