The Family Kwanzaa Adventure program.
The Anacostia Community Museum is committed to enabling all visitors to experience its exhibitions and programs.
We recognize the diversity of our general public's abilities and needs, and we offer a variety of programs and services to ensure that the museum, its exhibitions and its programs are accessible.
All public areas of the museum are wheelchair accessible. All entrances are wheelchair accessible.
The Anacostia Community Museum offers accommodation for visitors with disabilities, including:
- Parking. There are designated parking spaces in the museum's outdoor parking lot and a drop-off area at the exterior access ramp.
- Wheelchair access. The museum offers an exterior access ramp to the lobby entrance and touch activated automatic door entry. Interior elevators and water fountains are wheelchair accessible as are all doorways.
- Restrooms. All restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
- Assistance dogs: Service dogs are allowed in the museum.
- Wheelchairs. Non-motorized wheelchairs are available at no charge with a valid ID. The museum does not provide motorized wheelchairs. Please visit the Security Desk to inquire about availability. Wheelchairs are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Tours and public programs (reservations required). Many of our docents (tour guides) are trained to give tours to children and adults with disabilities. Sign language interpreters can be made available for tours, public programs, or evening lectures with advanced notice.
Two-week advance notice is required to reserve a special-needs program. When requesting accommodation, please specify the kind of interpretation required (e.g., for sign language: ASL, PSE, or Signed English). Send your request to: email@example.com
or contact the Anacostia Community Museum from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday except federal holidays, at 202.633.4844.
Central Smithsonian Accessibility Office
If you plan to visit other Smithsonian museums, you may elect to make all of your interpreter reservations through the Central Smithsonian Accessibility Office: 202-633-2921 (voice); 202-633-4353 (TTY); 202-633-4352 (fax); Toll-free: 1-888-783-0001. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan Your Visit
Maps & Directions
Visitors With Disabilities
BACK TO TOP