libraries.4cls.org
RICHFIELD SPRINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
102 Main St, Richfield Springs, NY 13439 (315)858-0230
HISTORY
The first library of Richfield Springs was in 1860 and was organized by ladies of the village. There were eleven members who contributed $2.00 each to create a book fund. The books then were rented at $0.10, the income was then used to purchase new books for the library. 
In 1899 a library board was formed and the State Board of Regents granted a provisional charter for a public library. 
In 1909 an absolute charter was granted an an earlier offer by Thomas R. Proctor was accepted. 
Thomas R. Proctor stated that he would erect a $5,000 building for a public library. Richard Montgomery offered a 75×95 foot lot on Main Street and the village overwhelming voted to have an annual grant for library purposes.  The cornerstone was laid on June 25, 1910 by the architect Frederic H. Gouge of Utica. 
The new library opened in January of 1911. In may of that year Thomas R. Proctor presented bookplates designed by artist Sidney L. Smith and hundreds of pieces of Limoges china on which was marked “Richfield Springs Public Library ” surrounded by a “Lamp of Learning”. Eight years later a dedication for the Proctor Memorial Room was held. 
Proudly powered by WordPress
HomeAbout Board of TrusteesCalendarDirectionsHistoryHours and Contact Information4CLS Resources OverDriveResearch CenterTransparent LanguageThe Thomas R. Proctor Memorial RoomLibrary ProgramsAdult EducationNew Books in the LibraryNewsletters