And we've been trashing our history
Archive Team is a loose collective of rogue archivists, programmers, writers and loudmouths dedicated to saving our digital heritage. Since 2009 this variant force of nature has caught wind of shutdowns, shutoffs, mergers, and plain old deletions - and done our best to save the history before it's lost forever. Along the way, we've gotten attention, resistance, press and discussion, but most importantly, we've gotten the message out: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY
This website is intended to be an offloading point and information depot for a number of archiving projects, all related to saving websites or data that is in danger of being lost. Besides serving as a hub for team-based pulling down and mirroring of data, this site will provide advice on managing your own data and rescuing it from the brink of destruction.
Currently Active Projects (Get Involved Here!) Current Running Warrior Project: Telegram
An updated Warrior virtual appliance (v3.2) is now available with better support for newer projects that utilize wget-at. Please download it using the link above.
- 2019-202? coronavirus outbreak: Documenting and preserving data, events, and impacts of the virus on society. IRC Channel #coronarchive (on hackint)
- ArchiveBot: For those with lots of disk space, bandwidth and long-term commitment. IRC Channel #archivebot (on hackint).
- WikiTeam: Saving wikis dumps (XML). And their external links for the Wayback Machine (WARC) as well as exporting MediaWiki databases. Permanent effort, everyone can help (you choose the size of your downloads). IRC Channel #wikiteam (on hackint).
- Dead people: When people die, their webpages and/or social media might go "Poof!" due to fees and other knick-knack. IRC Channel #archiveteam (on hackint)
Upcoming & proposed projects
Recently finished projects
- Coub: Coub's looping videos will loop no more come April 1, 2022 for some time longer after an aborted shutdown. IRC Channel #coup (on hackint).
- Radikal: Panic grab of a Russian image host with "a billion" images and "a million" videos which shut down on 2022-03-10. IRC Channel #deradikalize (on hackint).
is where we keep track of sites that are sickly, dying or dead.
is where we keep track of sites that seem fine but a lot depends on them.
Projects is a comprehensive list of AT endeavors. Philosophy describes the ideas underpinning our work. Software will assist you in regaining control of your data by providing tools for information backup, archiving and distribution. Formats
will familiarize you with the various data formats, and how to ensure your files will be readable in the future.
is about where to get it, what to get, and how to use it.
"[Yahoo!] found the way to destroy the most massive amount of history in the shortest amount of time with absolutely no recourse"
Tommaso Meo, Wired Italia, 2022-03-25
Karl Bode, VICE, 2022-02-28
Kaitlyn Tiffany, The Atlantic, 2021-04-25
Adam Smith, The Independent, 2021-04-13
Dhruv Mehrotra and Shoshana Wodinsky, Gizmodo, 2021-04-09
Katie Notopoulos, BuzzFeed News, 2021-04-05
Leland Nally, VICE, 2021-01-12
Rea McNamara, Hyperallergic, 2020-12-18
Samantha Cole and Jason Koebler, VICE, 2020-06-09
Katie Notopoulos, Buzzfeed News, 2019-12-28
This page was last edited on 24 April 2022, at 19:48.