NUI Galway accessibility statement
NUI Galway is dedicated to meeting the needs of people with disabilities, and recognises the importance of complying with accessibility standards. We also recognise the challenge and benefits of creating a Web site that focuses not only on complying with standards, but on delivering an excellent online experience to the widest possible audience, including older people and users with disabilities.
As far as possible, we aim that the Web site is:
- technically accessible, in that it is possible for all users to access all information and functionality;
- equally usable, in that it is not prohibitively difficult or time consuming for users with disabilities to carry out normal tasks;
- capable of being adapted or configured by individual users to meet their specific needs and preferences;
- capable of interfacing with appropriate, widely available assistive technologies employed by users.
The Web site uses structured semantic markup. h1 tags are used for main titles. h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 tags are used for subtitles.
The Web site uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) for visual layout. This ensures that content is perfectly linearised and improves performance on a wide range of browsers and other user agents.
An accessibility audit was carried out on the templates used to build the site. These validated to a high level of compliance. Work is ongoing to implement changes to deal with any issues discovered.
To help deliver and maintain an accessible website, NUI Galway has created internal guidelines to guide Web administrators and authors in the creation of accessible Web content.
These guidelines cover issues such as
- Creating user friendly Web content
- Writing meaningful alternative text
- Creating accessible tables
- Creating accessible link phrases.
Content authors receive training to raise awareness of accessibility issues.
Some features need cookies to work properly. Cookies also let us (a) remember your preferences, (b) collect anonymous usage statistics, and (c) manage any online ads for nuigalway.ie.
Founded in 1845, we've been inspiring students for 175 years. NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching.
National University of Ireland
T. +353 91 524411
© 2021 National University of Ireland, Galway. All Rights Reserved.