OverDrive and Accessibility
OverDrive is dedicated to creating “a world enlightened by reading” for all readers. OverDrive’s mission is to provide services that are accessible and to provide an inclusive and user-friendly experience to every end user, every time.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
define requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. With the goal of sustained accessibility in mind, all OverDrive apps are in the process of being updated to conform with the applicable WCAG 2.1 Level AA Success Criteria to the greatest extent possible.
Although our goal is full compliance with all WCAG 2.1 Level AA Success Criteria, due to the nature of our service, certain limitations may exist. Known limitations include: Certain ebook content may not permit text-to-speech functionality and audiobook content will not permit speech-to-text functionality due to licensing restrictions from most supplying publishers.
OverDrive Accessibility Features
- High contrast option on the library website and in Sora
- Native OS Dark Mode supported in Libby for devices operating Android 10+ or iOS 13+
- OpenDyslexic font option on the library website, as well built-in support via OverDrive Read for Libby and Sora
- Native OS text sizes supported in Libby for both iOS and Android devices
- Ebook font size options in the OverDrive app, Sora, Libby, and at the library website
- Many ebooks in PDF and EPUB format, plus MP3 audiobooks, to provide a greater level of accessibility with assistive technology
- Alternative text within the OverDrive app, Sora, and at the library website
- Native screen reader compatibility in the OverDrive app for Android, iOS and Windows 8/10
- Tab key navigation within Sora and on the library website
- Keyboard shortcuts in OverDrive with OverDrive for Windows (desktop) and OverDrive for Windows 8/10
- Enhanced screen reader support in Sora, including labeled elements, dynamic communications, and multi-language capabilities
- ARIA labels providing additional contextual information are available within the OverDrive app, Sora, and at the library website
- Keyboard shortcuts in Libby's ebook reader and audiobook player
Additional accessibility features will be introduced in both Sora and Libby.
OverDrive welcomes your feedback on the accessibility of its services. If you have questions or encounter any accessibility barriers while using our services, please contact us:
Mail: Attn: User Feedback, OverDrive, Inc., One OverDrive Way, Cleveland, Ohio 44125 USA
Last updated December 2020