dailynewsegypt.com
Egyptian army neutralises 89 terrorists in North Sinai
Eight military personnel were killed or wounded during the Egyptian Armed Forces operation in North Sinai, according to the army spokesperson
Daily News Egypt August 1, 2021 Comments Off

T
he Egyptian Armed Forces have neutralised 89 takfiri extremists in a military operation in the North Sinai, army spokesperson Gharib Abdel Hafiz said in a statement on Sunday. 
The statement added that eight army personnel were killed or wounded in the operation.
Abdel Hafiz said, “As part of the continuous efforts to fight terrorist elements nationwide, the Armed Forces succeeded in conducting successive strikes against terrorist elements during the previous period.”   
“A total of 73 automatic rifles, 140 magazines, 5,606 multi-caliber bullets, 34 radios, a drone equipped with a camera, a night vision device, a laptop, and several mobile phones were seized,” the statement added.
In addition, 404 explosive devices, 4 explosive belts, 59 motorcycles and 52 cars used by the extremists were discovered and destroyed.
Moreover, the Border Guard Forces, in cooperation with the military engineers, succeeded in discovering and destroying 13 tunnel entrances used by extremists to infiltrate into the North Sinai.
Meanwhile, the Air Force, in coordination with the Border Guard Forces, destroyed 200 four-wheel drive vehicles, some of them loaded with weapons and ammunition, in the Western Desert. 
These vehicles were attempting to illegally enter the country through the western and southern borders, according to the statement.
Egypt launched the comprehensive military operation in Sinai on 9 February 2018, targeting terrorists nationwide.
The extensive military operation in Sinai, aiming at targeting dens and ammunition storages that are being used by terrorists, according to the first statement from the armed forces. The operation includes navy, air force, and infantry forces.
Since 2013, both the army and police have been engaged in armed clashes with a terrorist group called “Sinai Province”, previously known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis. In 2014, the group declared its affiliation with the Islamic State (IS) group and carried out deadly attacks on army and police checkpoints.
Daily News Egypt
MORE IN EGYPT
MORE IN DAILY NEWS EGYPT
Recommended
Egyptian Armed Forces carry out ‘Badawi 2021’ training in Sinai
Egypt’s President, Iraq’s Defence Minister discuss mutual military cooperation
Egypt launches national report on combating terrorism for 2021

Featured Video
Video| Egypt’s President Al-Sisi weighs in on freedom of expression, Islamic extremism
Editorial Pick
Opinion | Why is Egypt postponing the war against Ethiopia?
UNDP, Planning Ministry launch Egypt’s Human Development Report 2021
Al-Sisi ensures personal freedoms as Egypt launches National Strategy for Human Rights
Opinion| Baghdad summit to calm crises
Latest News
Opinion | Why is Egypt postponing the war against Ethiopia?
Majority of fans favour more frequent men’s FIFA World Cups: global survey
Cairo Designathon to celebrate winners of 2nd design marathon by the Pyramids in October
OPINION
Opinion | Why is Egypt postponing the war against Ethiopia?
Opinion| Socialism defeats capitalism in the time of coronavirus
Opinion| Human rights and investment in the country’s growth
9/11 anniversary: US should stop supporting movement that inspired attacks
MORE OPINION
Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe