Built by the Hafsid dynasty
in the 15th century, the name Bardo comes from the Spanish word "prado" meaning a garden. Bardo became a residence of the Tunis court in the 18th century. With the arrival of Husseinite beys
, Bardo became a political, intellectual and religious center. The ancient beys residence was actually the site of the Tunisian National Assembly headquarters, and the National Museum opened there in 1882.