This article is about the inner city local government that contains the River. For the outer shire that contains the River and its Valley and is based in Lilydale
, see Yarra Ranges Shire
The City of Yarra
is a local government area
(LGA) in Victoria
, Australia in the inner eastern and northern suburbs of Melbourne
. It is the second smallest LGA in the state with an area of 19.5 square kilometres (7.5 sq mi), and in June 2018 it had a population of 98,521,
making it the second most densely populated LGA, with around 5,040 people per square kilometre.
The City of Yarra was formed in 1994 as a result of the amalgamation of the former Cities of Richmond
, and parts of Carlton North (previously part of the City of Melbourne
) and parts of Alphington and Fairfield (previously part of the former City of Northcote
Richmond Town Hall
Fitzroy Town Hall
Collingwood Town Hall
The administrative centre of the City of Yarra is the old Richmond Town Hall
in Bridge Road
, Richmond. The Collingwood Town Hall
in Hoddle Street
, Abbotsford is also still used by the council as secondary offices and as a service centre, and the Fitzroy Town Hall
in Napier Street, Fitzroy is used for the local library and for use as a community space. Some council committees also meet at the Fitzroy and Collingwood Town Halls.
The suburbs of the City of Yarra were established in the mid-to-late 19th century and retain a Victorian
appearance. The majority of housing in the city is made up of Victorian cottages or terraces or apartments built from the 1960s.
Yarra Council CEO is Vijaya Vaidyanath since July 2012.
Suburbs within the City of Yarra
Yarra City Council is composed of nine councillors elected proportionally
as three separate wards
, each electing three councillors. All councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected annually in November by a special meeting of the full council. The most recent local government election was held in October 2020.
The current Council, elected in 2020, in order of election by ward, is:
Past Yarra councillors
The City of Yarra has a high concentration of fashion, technology, and media businesses. Companies located in the City of Yarra include:
- Aesop has its global headquarters on Smith Street, Fitzroy.
- Carsales.com has its head office located on Punt Road, Richmond.
- Computershare, one of the largest stock exchange technology and registrar services business in the world is located on Johnston Street Abbotsford.
- Country Road, an upscale Australia clothing and homewares manufacturer and retailer is headquartered on Church Street, Richmond
- Epworth the not-for-profit private health care group, employ 1,800 staff at their head office, and largest hospital, on Bridge Road.
- GlaxoSmithKline operates offices of its pharmaceutical division on Johnston Street, Abbotsford.
- Just Group and its brands Just Jeans, Jay Jays, Jacqui E, Portmans, Dotti, Peter Alexander, and Smiggle are headquartered on Church Street, Richmond
- Madman Entertainment has its head office in the Richmond suburb and in the Melba Ward in Yarra.
- Pacific Star Network Limited, an ASX-listed radio broadcaster best known for SEN 1116, is based on Swan Street, Richmond.
- REA Group which includes realestate.com.au has its head office located on Church Street, Richmond.
- Schwartz Publishing publisher of The Monthly, Quarterly Essay and the book imprint Black Inc is located on Langridge Street, Collingwood.
- SitePoint, a global technology publisher and its website subsidiaries 99designs.com, Flippa.com, Learnable.com and Wave Digital are based on Cambridge Street and Wellingston Street, Collingwood.
- ^ a b c d "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- ^ "New Board Members Appointed". Procurement Australasia Ltd. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- ^ a b "City of Yarra council's 'attack on Australia Day' angers Malcolm Turnbull". ABC News. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- ^ Clure, Elias (21 August 2017). "Melbourne's City of Darebin council decides to dump Australia Day ceremonies". ABC News. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- ^ a b c d "Yarra City Council election results 2020". Victorian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 5 November 2020.
- ^ a b Eddie, Rachel (6 November 2020). "Australia's first Greens-dominated council elected in Yarra". The Age. Retrieved 6 November 2020.
- ^ About Us – Aesop." Aesop (skin care). Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Help Centre – carsales.com.au." Carsales.com.au. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Corporate Directory – ComputerShare Australia Archived 21 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine." Computershare. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "About Us – ComputerShare Australia" Computershare. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Information – Country Road Archived 10 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine." Country Road. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Epworth Richmond." Epworth Hospital. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- ^ "Our Facilities". GlaxoSmithKline.
- ^ "Contact – Just Group Archived 17 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine." Just Group. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Contact Information." Madman Entertainment. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- ^ "Map of the Ward Boundaries Archived 2 June 2010 at the Wayback Machine." City of Yarra. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- ^ "Contact Us – Pacific Star Network Limited." Pacific Star Network Limited. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Open State: REA Group HQ". Universe. 21 March 2018. Retrieved 15 September 2020.
- ^ "Contact – The Monthly." The Monthly. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "About Us – Quarterly Essay." Quarterly Essay. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Contact – Black Inc Books." Black Inc. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "About Us – SitePoint Pty Ltd." SitePoint. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "Contact Us – SitePoint Pty Ltd." SitePoint. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- ^ "About Us – 99designs." 99designs.com. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
Last edited on 10 March 2021, at 12:33
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.