, the "language of islands") is the name given to a group of four Bantu languages
spoken in the Comoro Islands
, an archipelago
in the southwestern Indian Ocean
. It is named as one of the official languages of the Union of the Comoros
in the Comorian constitution. Shimaore, one of the languages, is spoken on the disputed island of Mayotte
, a French department
claimed by Comoros. Like Swahili
, the Comorian languages are Sabaki languages
, part of the Bantu language family. Each island has its own language and the four are conventionally divided into two groups: the eastern group is composed of Shindzuani
(spoken on Ndzuani
) and Shimaore
(Mayotte), while the western group is composed of Shimwali
) and Shingazija
). Although the languages of different groups are not usually mutually intelligible, only sharing about 80% of their lexicon, there is mutual intelligibility
between the languages within each group, suggesting that Shikomori should be considered as a two language groups rather than four distinct languages.
It is the language of Umodja wa Masiwa, the national anthem.
The consonants and vowels in the Comorian languages:
The consonants mb, nd, b, d are phonetically recognized as ranging from [ᵐɓ~ᵐb], [ⁿɗ~ⁿd], [ɓ~b], [ɗ~d].
- ^ "Udzima wa Komori". Université Laval, 2325, rue de l'Université. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- ^ Daniel Barreteau. "Premiers résultats d'une enquête sociolinguistique auprès des élèves de CM2 de Mayotte" (PDF) (in French). Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- ^ "Population of Mayotte". INSEE.
- ^ Jouni Filip Maho, 2009. New Updated Guthrie List Online
- ^ Breslar, 1981; Ahmed-Chamanga, 2010
- ^ Ahmed-Chamanga, 2010
- Ahmed-Chamanga, Mohamed. (1992) Lexique Comorien (shindzuani) – Français. Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Ahmed-Chamanga, Mohamed. (1997) Dictionnaire français-comorien (dialecte Shindzuani). Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Ahmed-Chamanga, Mohamed. (2010) Introduction à la grammaire structurale du comorien. Moroni: Komedit. 2 vols.
- Breslar, Jon. (1981) An Ethnography of the Mahorais (Mayotte, Comoro Islands). Thesis presented at University of Pittsburgh.
- Djohar, Abdou. (2014) Approche contrastive franco-comorienne: les séquences figées à caractère adjectival. Université Paris-Nord.
- Johansen, Aimee. A History of Comorian Linguistics. in John M. Mugane (ed.), Linguistic Typology and Representation of African Languages. Africa World Press. Trenton, New Jersey.
- Lafon, Michel. (1991) Lexique Français-Comorien (Shingazidja). Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Rey, Veronique. (1994) Première approche du mwali. Africana Linguistica XI. Tervuren: MRAC.
Last edited on 18 December 2020, at 12:27
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.