This article is about Daniel Lawrence Newman. For other people named Daniel Newman, see Daniel Newman
Daniel Lawrence Newman
(born 1963) is a British
writer, scholar and translator of Arabic literature
Newman is currently the head of the Arabic department at the University of Durham
and Director of the MA programme in English-Arabic Translation and Interpreting.
He serves as a special advisor to the Islamic Criminal Justice Project at the Centre for Criminal Law & Justice, Durham Law School
, and served as a member of council at the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies from 2008-2012.
Newman’s research in Arabic studies centres on linguistics (phonetics and dialectology) and literature. He is a specialist on the 19th-century Nahda
) movement in Egypt
and has published extensively on this topic. He is also involved in a long-term project on mediaeval Arabic erotic literature
which will result in the edition and translation of original manuscripts.
- A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation, London, Saqi Books, 2013 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq, London, Saqi Books, 2008 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon, Routledge, 2007.
- Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra ‘tuna fi ‘l-sharia wa ‘l-mujtama, with an introduction, Routledge, 2007 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831), London, Saqi Books, 2004 (2nd revised edition 2011).
- Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German), Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1993 (co-authored with J. Van der Tuin).
- Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012), Singapore, 2012.
- Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology, Brussels, 1999 (with M. Van Campenhoudt).
- ^ a b "All the president's trials - Inside Story - Al Jazeera English". Al Jazeera. 4 Aug 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- ^ a b Byrd, David (23 August 2012). "Quicktake: More Bloodshed, Little Relief Ahead for Syria - Daniel Newman". Voice of America. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- ^ "British Society for Middle Eastern Studies". Charity Insight. New Statesman Ltd. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- ^ "Profile of Daniel Newman". Banipal (UK) Magazine of Modern Arab Literature. Banipal Trust for Arab Literature. Archived from the original on 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- ^ "Saqi Books 2013 Catalogue" (PDF). Saqi Telegram: The Westbourne Press. Saqi Books. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- ^ "Remise du Prix international du Président de la République pour les études islamiques au titre de l'année 2008". Journal le Temps. 28 September 2008. Archived from the original on 6 July 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
Last edited on 27 November 2020, at 20:43
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.