The Department of Environment and Natural Resources was first established on January 1, 1917 as the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources
(DANR) through the enactment of Act No. 2666 by the Philippine Commission
, otherwise known as "An Act to Re-organize the Executive Department of the Government of the Philippine Islands," on November 18, 1916. In 1932, the DANR was reorganized into the Department of Agriculture and Commerce (DAC).
In 1947, a reorganization act changed the DAC back to the Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The Natural Resources arm of the DANR was finally spun off on May 17, 1974 as the Ministry of Natural Resources
. On January 30, 1987, the Ministry was reorganized into the Department of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources, by Executive Order No. 131 and was finally reorganized into the Department of Environment and Natural Resources by Executive Order No. 192 on June 10, 1987.
DENR worked on large-scale reforestation
of Davao City
under the national greening program (NGP), its flagship project that lasted for a period of six years, from 2011 to 2016.