Berg-Schlosser’s major research interests include the study of political culture, democratization, development studies, and comparative methodology. He has held professorships and visiting professorships at the Universities of Munich, Augsburg, Eichstätt, Charles University
Prague, Sciences Po Lille and Sciences Po Paris, Stellenbosch/South Africa and UC Berkeley. In addition he has given courses on comparative methodology at the Universities of Essex, Ljubljana, São Paulo, Stellenbosch, Singapore, METU Ankara, the Higher School of Economics Moscow and St. Petersburg, the Institute of Higher Studies at Vienna, and FLACSO Mexico City. He is currently a fellow of the Stellenbosch Institute of Advanced Studies (STIAS).
Berg-Schlosser has been member of the Executive Committee of the German Political Science Association (DVPW), 1980–1986, 2003–2009; the Executive Committee of the “European Consortium for Political Research
” (ECPR), 2000–2006 and its Chair 2003-2006; the Executive Committee of the International Political Science Association
(IPSA) 2003-2009, 2006 - 2009 as Vice-President and chair of the Committee on Research and Training (CRT). He was IPSA summer school coordinator (2009 - 2016) and responsible for the summer schools at São Paulo, Stellenbosch, Singapore, Ankara, Mexico City, St.Petersburg.
He has been appointed as European Research Council (ERC) referee 2009–2013, and has served as referee for Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
, Volkswagen Foundation, Swedish Rijksbank, Swiss National Fund, Austrian Science Foundation, International Science Foundation; National Research Foundation/South Africa, Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique (fnrs), Czech Science Foundation.
- Political Science – A Global Perspective (with Bertrand Badie and Leonardo Morlino), SAGE, London, 2017.
- Mixed Methods in Comparative Politics, Palgrave, 2012.
- International Encyclopedia of Political Science (ed. with Bertrand Badie and Leonardo Morlino), 8 vol., SAGE, Los Angeles, 2011.
- Aktuelle Methoden der Vergleichenden Politikwissenschaft (with Lasse Cronqvist), Barbara Budrich Publishers, Opladen, 2011.
- Democratization – The State of the Art (ed.), Barbara Budrich Publishers, Opladen & Farmington Hills, 2nd ed., 2007.
- Poverty and Democracy (with Norbert Kersting), ZED Books, London, 2003.
- Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft, Leske-Verlag, Opladen (co-author and co-editor with Ferdinand Müller-Rommel), 4th ed., 2003.
- Authoritarianism and Democracy in Europe 1919-39. Comparative Analyses (co-author and co-editor with Jeremy Mitchell), Palgrave, London, 2002.
- Perspectives of Democratic Consolidation in Eastern Europe (ed. with Raivo Vetik), Columbia University Press, New York, 2001.
- Einführung in die Politikwissenschaft, Verlag C.H. Beck, München, 7th. edition 2003, (with Theo Stammen); Czech edition: Prague, 2000.
- Conditions of Democracy in Europe, 1919-1939 - Systematic Case Studies (Co-author and co-editor: Jeremy Mitchell), Macmillan, London, 2000.
- Perspektiven der Demokratie - Probleme und Chancen im Zeitalter der Globalisierung (ed. with Hans-Joachim Giegel), Campus Verlag, Frankfurt a.M., 1999.
- Empirische Demokratieforschung - Exemplarische Analysen, Campus Verlag, Frankfurt a.M., 1999.
- Political Culture in Germany, (co-author and co-editor with Ralf Rytlewski), Macmillan Press, London, 1993.
- Political Stability and Development: A Comparative Analysis of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda (with Rainer Siegler), Lynne Rienner Publishers, Boulder/Col., 1990.
- Politische Kultur in Deutschland - Bilanz und Perspektiven der Forschung, PVS-Sonderheft 18, Opladen, 1987 (co-author and co-editor with Jakob Schissler).
- Tradition and Change in Kenya - A Comparative Analysis of seven Major Ethnic Groups, Verlag F. Schöningh, Paderborn, 1984.
- Politische Kultur - eine neue Dimension politikwissenschaftlicher Analyse, Ernst-Vögel-Verlag, München, 1972.
Numerous articles in major journals and contributions to collective volumes.
Last edited on 9 February 2021, at 12:55
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.