Rules and traditions of succession
Succession to the throne of Kuwait is limited to the descendants of Mubarak Al-Sabah
. The position of Emir is also traditionally alternated between the two main branches of the Al Sabah
family, the Al-Ahmed and Al-Salem branches. The reigning emir must appoint an heir apparent
within one year of his accession to the throne; the nominee for consideration as Crown Prince
has to be a senior member of the Al Sabah family.
Annual compensation for the Emir is defined. The annual compensation is currently set to 50 million KWD
Emirs of Kuwait (1752–present)
- ^ In exile in Ta'if, Saudi Arabia between 2 August 1990 and 15 March 1991, due to the Iraqiinvasion and occupation, and the subsequent Gulf War.
- ^ Deposed by the National Assembly and abdicated simultaneously due to illness.
- ^ "Kuwait's new emir Sheikh Nawaf to be sworn in on September 30: Parliament speaker". Deccan Herald. 29 September 2020.
- ^ "Show us the money - Oil Revenues, Undisclosed Allocations and Accountability in Budgets of the GCC States" (PDF).
- ^ Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf, Oman, and Central Arabia, Geographical, Volume 1, Historical Part 1, John Gordon Lorimer,1905, p1000
- ^ PM set to become new Kuwait emir; CNN, 24 January 2006.
Last edited on 26 April 2021, at 13:39
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.