Everything Is Illuminated (film)
Jonathan Safran Foer (Elijah Wood
), a young American Jew
, goes on a quest to find the woman, Augustine, who saved his grandfather, Safran Foer, during the Holocaust
in a small Ukrainian
town called Trachimbrod
that was wiped off the map when the Nazis
liquidated Eastern European shtetls
His guides are a cranky, seemingly antisemitic
grandfather (Boris Leskin
), his wound-up Border Collie
named Sammy Davis, Jr., Jr., and his enthusiastic grandson, Alex (Eugene Hütz
), who constantly chatters with a unique command of English and a passion for American pop culture
keep the arduous journey threaten lighter. These guides have been escorting wealthy Americans in search of their roots for decades. They are generally not very knowledgeable about the subject of finding Jews, and usually just attempt to scam them by taking them on long journeys. However, after hearing Jonathan's compelling story, they decide they actually want to help him.
Traveling through much of rural Ukraine, they eventually find Augustine's sister, Lista (Laryssa Lauret
), who tells them that Augustine was killed by Nazi soldiers after her father refused to spit on the Torah. And she leads them to the site where the town had been.
The next night Alex's grandfather quietly kills himself. Through flashbacks, it was revealed he was Jewish and managed to survive the war himself by hiding his religion. Jonathan returns home after saying farewell to Alex, to whom he has grown close.
Both Jonathan and Alex sprinkle soil gathered from the site of the massacre on their respective grandfathers' graves. Alex's grandfather is given a Jewish tombstone.
counted the film among the "rare films that encapsulate the emotion of discovery and drama with humor",
while Time Out New York
called it Liev Schreiber's "unbelievably assured debut as a director".Roger Ebert
praised the film, assigning it 3 and a half stars out of 4, and suggested that one might well see it a second time, as he did, "to understand the journey it takes".
- ^ Foer, Jonathan Safran (2002). Everything Is Illuminated: A Novel. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 0-618-17387-0.
- ^ "Everything Is lluminated (2005)". British Film Institute.
- ^ a b Ebert, Roger (September 2005). "Everything is Illuminated ['Coming Soon' blurb; reporting from the 2005 Toronto Film Festival]". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on 23 September 2005. Full review, dated 22 September 2005, retrieved from www.rogerebert.com, 2016-10-03.
- ^ "Everything Is Illuminated (2005)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- ^ Scott, A. O. (16 September 2005). "A Journey Inspired by Family Becomes One of Forgiveness". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- ^ Etherington, Daniel. "Everything Is Illuminated [Film Review]". Channel 4. Archived from the original on 19 June 2006. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- ^ Everything is Illuminated Soundtrack
- ^ Simpson, Mary Anne (19 January 2007). "A Review of the Movie: Everything is Illuminated". American Chronicle. Archived from the original on 13 August 2012. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- ^ Rothkopf, Joshua (28 September 2005). "Everything Is Illuminated" [film review]. Time Out New York. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- ^ Лауреаты владивостокского международного кинофестиваля (2006)
- ^ Рената Литвинова вручает приз за лучшую мужскую роль Борису Лескину
- ^ Boris Leskin. Awards
Last edited on 12 February 2021, at 22:56
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.