: محافظة الفيوم
Muḥāfāzah Al Fayyūm
) is one of the governorates of Egypt
in the middle of the country. Its capital is the city of Faiyum
, located about 81 mi (130 km) south west of Cairo
. It has a population of 3,848,708 (2020).
The name Faiyum comes from Coptic
̀Ⲫⲓⲟⲙ /Ⲡⲉⲓⲟⲙ efiom/peiom
(whence the proper name Ⲡⲁⲓⲟⲙ payoum
), meaning the Sea
or the Lake
, which in turn comes from late Egyptian pA y-m
of the same meaning, a reference to the nearby Lake Moeris
The rate of poverty is more than 60% in this governorate but recently some social safety networks have been provided in the form of financial assistance and job opportunities. The funding has been coordinated by the country's Ministry of Finance
and with assistance from international organizations.
The governorate is divided into the following municipal divisions
for administrative purposes, with a total estimated population as of July 2017 of 3,615,486. In some instances there is a markaz and a kism with the same name.
The governorate of Faiyum includes:
- The large fertile Faiyum Oasis, which comprises farmland, Lake Moeris, and some cities.
- South of the Faiyum Oasis, a smaller depression contains the town of El Gharaq el Sulţāni. It is also irrigated from the Nile.
- A dry barren depression named Wadi El Rayan, which covers 280 mi² (725 km²), west of the El Gharaq el Sulţāni depression.
- Desert and dry mountains, which mostly surround the depressions.
Boy of Nazla, one of the pottery production sites at Faiyum
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in rural areas, with an urbanization rate of only 22.5%. Out of an estimated 3,170,150 people residing in the governorate, 2,456,368 people lived in rural areas and only 713,782 lived in urban areas.
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Kom Oshim
- New Kom Oshim
- (New urban community industrial zone) New Fayoum
- ^ "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- ^ "Fayoum Governorate". Retrieved 4 March 2021.
- ^ a b "Population Estimates By Governorate ( Urban /Rural ) 19/11/2020". www.capmas.gov.eg. Retrieved 19 November 2020. Check |archive-url= value (help)
- ^ "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- ^ "Social Solidarity Ministry to provide citizens with disabilities financial support". Egypt Independent. 25 July 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- ^ "Faiyum Governorates Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- ^ "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- ^ "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- ^ "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- ^ Yasser, Nayera (April 30, 2015). "Amna Elshandaweely and Nada Elsonbaty pave 'Road to Fayoum'". Archived from the original on 22 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- ^ "The Fayoum Portraits". Per Ankh Trading. Archived from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
Last edited on 4 March 2021, at 06:18
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.