The rate of poverty is more than 60% in this governorate but recently some social safety networks have been provided in the form of financial assistance and job opportunities. The funding has been coordinated by the country's Ministry of Finance
and with assistance from international organizations.
The governorate is divided into municipal divisions
, with a total estimated population as of July 2017 of 8,666,090. In the case of Giza governorate, there are a number of aqsam
, with fully urban and rural parts. Sometimes a markaz and a kism share a name.
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate lived in urban areas, with an urbanization
rate of 58.6%. Out of an estimated 7,585,115 people residing in the governorate, 4,446,805 people lived in urban areas as opposed to only 3,138,310 in rural areas.
According to population estimates from 2018 the majority of residents in the governorate live in urban areas, with an urbanization rate of 60.9%. Out of an estimated 8,759,000 people residing in the governorate, 5,332,000 people live in urban areas as opposed to only 3,428,000 in rural areas.
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), and the Ministry of Investment, the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Abo Rwash Industrial Zone
- 6 October Industrial Zone
- Al Wahat (Heavy) Industrial zone
In 1981, the Basic Village Service Program (BVS), under the auspices of USAID, had several water, and road projects, going on in several markazes in the Giza Governorate.
In a program that began on August 28, 2012 (through 2018), the European Union invested 40 million Euros on upgrading the infrastructure of informal areas in Giza Governorate.
- ^ a b c "Population estimates by governorate: CAPMAS". www.capmas.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2018-11-02. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- ^ "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- ^ "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- ^ "Social Solidarity Ministry to provide citizens with disabilities financial support". Egypt Independent. 25 July 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- ^ "Giza Governorate Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-11-24. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- ^ "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- ^ "EGYPT Administrative Division". Citypopulation.de. 2012-01-08. Archived from the original on February 20, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- ^ "State Information Services Population". sis.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2014-08-19.
- ^ "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- ^ "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- ^ "Giza Governorate" (PDF). GAFI. Archived(PDF) from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- ^ "Egypt: The Basic Village Services Program"(PDF). USAID. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- ^ "Upgrading Informal Areas in the Greater Cairo Region". European Union External Action. Archived from the original on 2017-01-02.
Last edited on 15 January 2021, at 15:32
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.