The Greater Cairo Area
: القاهرة الكبرى
: Al-Qāhira al-Kubrā
) is the largest metropolitan area
the largest urban area
, the Middle East
, and the Arab world
, and the 6th largest metropolitan area
in the world.
It consists of all cities in the Cairo Governorate
as well as Giza
, 6th of October
, Sheikh Zayed City
in the Giza Governorate
and Shubra El Kheima
in the Qalyubia Governorate
, with a total population estimated at 20,901,000; area: 1,709 km2
; density: 10,400/km2
The Greater Cairo Area and its surrounding region is classified as hot desert climate
(BWh) in Köppen-Geiger classification
, as all of Egypt
. Cairo and its surrounding region have very similar day to day temperatures; however, the less populated parts at the east and the west do not have the urban heat
, which makes them more prone to have soft hail
60% of all informal houses in Egypt are located in the Greater Cairo area.
Surrounding cities and suburbs
- ^ a b The Evolving Urban Form: Cairo, New Geography, 13 June 2012, retrieved 9 October 2015
- ^ Demographia World Urban Areas & Population Projections (PDF), Demographia, April 2009, retrieved 9 July 2009
- ^ R.L. Forstall, R.P. Greene, and J.B. Pick, "Which are the largest? Why published populations for major world urban areas vary so greatly" Archived 31 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine, City Futures Conference, (University of Illinois at Chicago, July 2004) – Table 5 (p.34)
- ^ "Cairo Climate and Weather Averages, Egypt". Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- ^ "Urban Initiatives". UN-Habitat Egypt. Archived from the original on 30 October 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
Last edited on 7 April 2021, at 11:15
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.