Ministry of Defense (Israel) The Ministry of Defense
: מִשְׂרַד הַבִּטָּחוֹן
, Misrad HaBitahon
) of the government of Israel
, is the governmental department responsible for defending the State of Israel from internal and external military threats. Its political head is the Defense Minister of Israel, and its offices are located in HaKirya
, Tel Aviv
The MOD was established when the British Mandate of Palestine
ended, and the British Army
and the State of Israel was formed. This ended the rag-tag militia units during British rule and gave way to the formal defense of the Jewish state.
Minister of Defense
Minister of Defence flag
The Defense Minister of Israel (Hebrew
: שַׂר הַבִּטָּחוֹן
, Sar HaBitahon
Minister of Security)
heads the ministry. The post is considered to be the second most important position in the Israeli cabinet
, and usually has a Deputy Minister. The Defense Minister is also a permanent member of the Security Cabinet
. Benny Gantz
of Blue and White
was sworn in on 17 May 2020 as Israel's new Minister of Defense.
Amongst the duties of the post, Defense Ministers can request administrative detention
. Because of the intensive work and the tension between the political echelon to the military echelon, frequently disagreements and difference of opinion are created between the Defense Minister and the Chief of Staff.
List of ministers
Ministry Of Defense
- Home Front Defense Ministry, headed by the Deputy Defense Minister
- Israeli National Emergency Authority, Rahel
- Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Maf'at
- Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Matpash
- Director of Security of the Defense Establishment, Malmab
- Defense Establishment Comptroller Unit
- Defense Political Branch, Abtam
- Defense Aid Branch, Sibat
- Computer and Management information systems, Malam – Data Processing Center
- Logistics Operations and properties Branch, Emun
- Defense Social branch
- Department of Defense Export Control, Api
- Tank program Directorate
- Procurement and Production Directorate, Manhar
- Emergency management, Melakh
- Ombudsman for soldiers, Nakhal
- Fund and Unit for Discharged Soldiers
- Department of Families and Remembrance
- Disabled Rehabilitation Division
- ^ Israel Ministry of Defense (in Hebrew)
- ^ In Israel, although the "Security Minister" (שר הביטחון) title is translated in English as "Defense Minister," in Hebrew, the Defense Ministers of other countries are more often referred to as "Defense Minister" (Hebrew: שר ההגנה, Sar HaHagana).
- ^ a b c Raoul Wootliff (18 November 2018). "After Jewish Home anger, Netanyahu says he'll reappoint deputy defense minister". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 November 2018. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- ^ "Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu takes over defence job as coalition falters". The Straits Times. 16 November 2018.
Last edited on 13 May 2021, at 09:14
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.