A justice ministry
, ministry of justice
or department of justice
is a ministry
or other government agency
in charge of the administration of justice
. The ministry or department is often headed by a minister of justice
(minister for justice
in a very few countries) or a secretary of justice
. In countries where this agency is called a department (usually department of justice
, sometimes attorney general's department
), the head of the department may be called the attorney general
, for example in the United States
is an example of a country that does not have a ministry of justice, but rather a Directorate of Judicial Services (head: Secretary of Justice) that oversees the administration of justice. Vatican City
, a country under the sovereignty of the Holy See
, also does not possess a ministry of justice. Instead, the Governorate of Vatican City State
(head: President of the Governorate of Vatican City State), the legislative body of the Vatican, includes a legal office.
Depending on the country, specific duties may relate to organizing the justice system
, overseeing the public prosecutor
and national investigative agencies (e.g. the American Federal Bureau of Investigation
), and maintaining the legal system
and public order
. Some ministries have additional responsibilities in related policy areas such as overseeing elections
, directing the police
, law reform, and administration of the immigration and citizenship services. The duties of the ministry of justice may in some countries be split from separate responsibilities of an attorney general
(often responsible for the justice system) and the interior minister
(often responsible for public order). Sometimes the prison system
is separated into another government department called Corrective Services.
Related articles and lists
† Based on available research, these are the countries, states or territories that have yet to appoint a female as the Minister of Justice, Attorney General or equivalent.
Other topics of interest
- ^ "Ministry of Justice (Defined)". Oxford Learners Dictionaries. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ "DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (Legal Definition)". Merriam-Webster. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ "History & Art of the Department of Justice | DOJ | Department of Justice". www.justice.gov. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ Monaco, Gouvernement Princier de. "La Justice / Les Institutions / Gouvernement et Institutions / Portail du Gouvernement - Monaco". www.gouv.mc (in French). Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- ^ "Public Prosecutor (Meaning)". Cambridge English Dictionary. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ "What is ATTORNEY GENERAL? (Definition of ATTORNEY GENERAL in Black's Law Dictionary)". The Law Dictionary. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ "Interior (adjective) - American English definition and synonyms". Macmillan Dictionary. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
Last edited on 8 April 2021, at 14:12
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.