Located in front of Dar Hussein
(Bab Menara), it was built in the early 12th century.
It was a royal mosque, probably built during the reign of Ahmed Ibn Kourassane
Around 1598, it was attached to the Hanafi
by the Turkish conquerors.
Ksar Mosque in 1913
has had a lot of building work and renovation. The minaret was rebuilt in 1647/48,
and decorated with marble
and terra cotta
glazed in a Moorish style, and its eastern facade is decorated with big bows and horseshoes in the Fatimid style.
Access to the mosque
is through a door under a covered walkway that opens into a courtyard elevated above the prayer hall. It is surrounded by a portico with columns and capitals such as Turkish Prayer Hall which is topped by arches supported by ancient columns and capitals. At the back of the hall, the mihrab, of remarkable size, is semicircular with seven niches separated by pilasters.
It is surmounted by a Fatimid style fluted half-dome.
- ^ "Lieux de culte Municipalité de Tunis" (in French). Government of Tunis. Archived from the original on 11 August 2009. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ^ a b "Mosquée al-Qasr". qantara-med.org (in French). Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
Mohamed Masmoudi et Jamila Binous, Tunis. La ville et les monuments, Tunis, Cérès Productions, 1980, p. 80–81
Last edited on 7 May 2021, at 08:07
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.