is a chain of bookstores in Brazil, founded in 1948 in São Paulo
by Eva Herz.
In 1947, Eva Herz, daughter of German immigrants, set up a book rental service called Biblioteca Circulante (Circulating Library)
at her home in Alameda Lorena, São Paulo.
The books were imported from Europe and their clientele was mainly immigrants. The service became popular and the circulating library started to borrow books from Brazilian authors, as well as to sell them.
In 1969, Herz moved the bookstore, now called Livraria Cultura, to the Conjunto Nacional
on Avenida Paulista. Eva's son, Pedro Herz, became her partner in the company.
The company expanded to a chain present in several cities in Brazil, such as Brasília, Campinas, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Porto Alegre, Recife, Ribeirão Preto, and Salvador, as well as having a store specialized in comics, videogames and other pop culture goods, called Geek.Etc.Br in São Paulo. On July 19, 2017, Livraria Cultura acquired the operation of Fnac
in Brazil without disclosing figures. At the end of the same year the bookstore purchased the online marketplace Estante Virtual.
After years of financial losses, which included the closing of the physical units in Rio de Janeiro, the company filed a request for judicial recovery on October 24, 2018, seeking to renegotiate its debts with book publishers and other creditors of the company.
- ^ "Brazil's Biggest Bookseller Expands Vertically". Publishers Weekly. 2000-01-10. Retrieved 2008-05-24.
- ^ a b "A fantástica história da Livraria Cultura". Revista Bula (in Portuguese). 2018-01-16. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- ^ "Livraria Cultura compra operações da Fnac no Brasil". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- ^ "Com receita em queda e dívidas, Livraria Cultura pede recuperação judicial - Economia". Estadão (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- ^ "Livraria Cultura entra com pedido de recuperação judicial". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-06-02.
Last edited on 16 April 2021, at 15:41
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.