Made in Dagenham
is a 2010 British film directed by Nigel Cole
. The film stars Sally Hawkins
, Bob Hoskins
, Miranda Richardson
, Geraldine James
, Rosamund Pike
, Andrea Riseborough
, Jaime Winstone
, Daniel Mays
and Richard Schiff
. It dramatises the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968
that aimed for equal pay for women
. The film's theme song, with lyrics by Billy Bragg
, is performed by Sandie Shaw
, herself a native of the area and a former Ford Dagenham
Based on a true story, Made in Dagenham explores the movement that caused a significant law reform. Rita O'Grady (a fictional character) leads the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike
at the Ford Dagenham plant
, where female workers walk out in protest against sexual discrimination
, demanding equal pay. This strike causes a lot of public attention around the world and was seen as out of the ordinary to many because it was not in a woman's nature to do anything else other than the traditional family roles. The strike is successful and leads to the Equal Pay Act 1970
Of 122 Rotten Tomatoes
reviews, 80% of critics gave the film a positive review. Maclean's
, in a review for the film's 2010 Toronto International Film Festival
premiere, called it a ".. combination of Milk
and Mad Men
.. It’s a film that blatantly condemns sexism and shows, despite its mostly light tone, the real cost of fighting for civil rights. The bee-hived
characters are fully fleshed and well-rounded even though they fit into ’60s archetypes, and the period piece
balances optimism and realism in a way that’s both compelling and fun to watch."
Xan Brooks of The Guardian
gave it three stars out of five, calling it ".. uncomplicated fare, overly spiced with 60s cliches.... But the film is also robust, amiable and so warm-hearted you'd be a churl to take against it.",
while David Cox, also of The Guardian
, gave a less glowing review, suggesting that, despite initial potential, ".. a promising opportunity has been squandered."
Made in Dagenham
was nominated for four awards at the 2010 British Academy Film Awards
; Outstanding British Film, Costume Design, Make Up & Hair Design and Supporting Actress (Miranda Richardson).
A soundtrack for the film was released, with the following tracks:
- "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" - Sandie Shaw
- "Get Ready" - The Temptations
- "Israelites" - Desmond Dekker & The Aces
- "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" - James Brown
- "Days" - The Kinks
- "Can I Get a Witness" - Dusty Springfield
- "All or Nothing" - Small Faces
- "The Boat That I Row" - Lulu
- "It's Getting Better" - Mama Cass
- "A Groovy Kind of Love" - The Mindbenders
- "Wooly Bully" - Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs
- "Sunday Will Never Be The Same" - Spanky and Our Gang
- "Green Tambourine" - Lemon Pipers
- "Paper Sun" - Traffic
- "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats
- "With a Girl Like You" - The Troggs
- "You Can Get It If You Really Want" - Desmond Dekker
- "Made In Dagenham" - Sandie Shaw
- ^ http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/made-dagenham-2010
- ^ "Made in Dagenham: interview with producers Stephen Woolley and Elizabeth Karlsen". The Daily Telegraph. 16 September 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- ^ Made in Dagenham at Box Office Mojo
- ^ Allott, Serena (9 September 2010). "Made in Dagenham: set report". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- ^ Made in Dagenham at Rotten Tomatoes
- ^ "'Made in Dagenham': Sweet 1960s sensibility and labour unions". Maclean's. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- ^ "Made in Dagenham". The Guardian. 21 September 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- ^ "Made in Dagenham: a squandered opportunity". The Guardian. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ Ebert, Roger (23 November 2010). "They thought they should be paid like men". Retrieved 17 May 2020.
- ^ "My Top Five Films of the Year". BBC. 24 December 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- ^ a b Made in Dagenham: Original Soundtrack at AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- ^ "Gemma Arterton to star in Made in Dagenham musical". BBC. 3 March 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
Last edited on 11 May 2021, at 10:22
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.