When the Tagammu party was founded, El-Saeed served as its organizational secretary.
Within Tagammu, El-Saeed was identified with the tendency that he was willing to enter into compromises with the regime of Hosni Mubarak
Notably, under his leadership Tagammu was the sole opposition party not to boycott the 1990 election.
In early 1995 Tagammu accepted the presidential nomination of El-Saeed to the Shura Council
, the upper house of parliament.
For El-Saeed, the tactical alliance with Mubarak stemmed from a desire to block the Muslim Brotherhood
to advance its influence in Egyptian politics.
El-Saeed's consistent fierce opposition to the Muslim Brotherhood
constitutes a key component of his political discourse and authorship.
He dedicated many of his written works to this subject (such as Contre L'Integrisme Islamiste
In response to his line on political Islam, he was placed in prominent positions on the death lists of militant groups.
Within Tagammu, El-Saeed remained a controversial figure due to his links to Mubarak.
Some sectors of the party disagreed with his hardline stance against the Muslim Brotherhood.
Dissent in the party erupted again following the 2011 Egyptian Revolution
, as 73 Central Committee
members of the party resigned in protest of El-Saeed's leadership. In particular the participation of Tagammu in the 2010 elections was a bone of contention.
El-Saeed died on 17 August 2017 at the age of 84.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Al-Ahram. The organiserArchived 2012-09-21 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ a b c Jadaliyya. National Progressive Unionist (Tagammu) Party
- ^ Africa research bulletin: Political, social, and cultural series, Vol. 32. Blackwell, 1995. p. 1879
- ^ a b c d Zahid, Mohammed. The Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt's Succession Crisis: The Politics of Liberalisation and Reform in the Middle East. London: I.B. Tauris, 2012. p. 172
- ^ a b Bernard-Maugiron, Nathalie, and Nicholas S. Hopkins. Political and social protest in Egypt. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2009. p. 170
- ^ Kassem, May. In the Guise of Democracy: Governance in Contemporary Egypt. Reading: Ithaca Press, 1999. p. 107
- ^ a b Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung. The Left in post-Jan 25-Egypt
- ^ اليوم السابع. وفاة الدكتور رفعت السعيد الرئيس السابق لحزب التجمع (in Arabic)
Last edited on 20 February 2021, at 17:40
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.