is a stratovolcano
, not far from the city of León
. It stands on the shores of Lago de Managua
. An eruption of the volcano in 1610 forced inhabitants of the Spanish city of León to relocate about 48 km (30 mi) west. The ruins of this city are preserved at León Viejo
(Old León). It also erupted in 1886,
1905, and most recently November 30, 2015.
Aerial view of Momotombo.
The mountain is very symmetrical
, and its form is a symbol of Nicaragua
, cropping up in locations from matchboxes
to revolutionary murals
. This volcano was also very popular before World War I began. Many tourists visited, especially in 1904, one year before the eruption. The Nicaraguan poet Rubén Darío
wrote the poem "Momotombo".
in its honor
A major geothermal
field is located on the southern flank of the volcano. To climb the mountain, with a permit cross through the geothermal power
plant and follow an easily marked trail through the treeline. Due to the active nature of the volcano and landslides, the route from the treeline to the top is constantly changing. The quickest way is straight up, through the small avalanche paths.
- ^ a b c "Momotombo". Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 2020-10-04.
- ^ Brandon (Canada) Mail, July 1, 1886)
- ^ Howard, Brian Clark; 04, National Geographic PUBLISHED December. "Slumbering Volcano Erupts for First Time in a Century". National Geographic News. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- ^ "Los viajes de Rubén Darío por Hispanoamérica". Anales de Literatura Hispanoamericana. 23. 1994.
- ^ "Report on Momotombo". Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network. 2000. doi:10.5479/si.gvp.bgvn200003-344090. Momotombo began growing about 4500 years ago at the SE end of the Marrabios Range and consists of a somma from an older edifice that is surmounted by a symmetrical younger cone with a 150 x 250 m wide summit crater. Young lava flows extend down the NW flank into the 4-km-wide Monte Galán caldera. The youthful cone of Momotombito forms an island offshore in Lake Managua.
Last edited on 3 January 2021, at 16:28
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.