The branch was rebranded from its former name of NHK World
in April 2018.
NHK World-Japan (rolling news channel)
NHK began international TV broadcasting services for North America and Europe in 1995. On April 1, 1998, then-called NHK World Television
started broadcasting. Today's NHK World-Japan is a current affairs and cultural channel that broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is produced in English
only. It began as a news channel in February 2009. NHK World-Japan's free-to-air
broadcasts have been available in high definition
by satellite since then, and NHK World-Japan HD currently broadcasts from 105.5°E, 68.5°E, Astra 28.2°E
, Astra 19.2°E
, 58°W, and 99°W.
Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV
, which is 60% owned by NHK, with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft
and Japanese bank Mizuho
. The "NHK World-Japan" DOG
logo is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired as a paid programming.
NHK World Premium (entertainment channel) NHK World Premium
broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese language
worldwide, via satellite and cable providers, as a subscription service mostly targeted at Japanese expatriates
It is marketed with that very name in several regions of the world, including Asia
and Latin America
. In Europe
, NHK World Premium's contents are shown instead on JSTV
-branded subscription channels run by NHK Cosmomedia Europe and headquartered in the UK. The service is known as テレビジャパン
) in the US, which is run by NHK Cosmomedia America. Contents generally do not carry English subtitles.
TV programs by NHK shown on its international outlets include:
- Cool Japan: Hosted by Shoji Kokami and Risa Stegmayer; some aspects of Japanese customs are considered "cool" by foreigners. Cool Japan is a television show that illustrates the quickly changing Japanese culture and how it is perceived by the international community that have recently made Japan their home.
- J-Melo: A music program hosted by May J., featuring the latest developments in Japanese music, selections of hit songs, and diverse material from a wide range of different music genres - pop, rock, jazz and classical.
- NHK Newsline: A news program with updates every hour, covering world events and business-related news, as well as providing global weather forecasts.
: A weekly business news program featuring the main stories of the week with guest expert analysis.
- Somewhere Street: A travel program which explores a different city each episode, from a tourist's perspective walking through a city.
- Today's Close-up: dubbed current affairs program from the NHK's domestic network.
- Begin Japanology and Japanology Plus: A Japanese culture and lifestyle television show with Peter Barakan.
- Japan-easy: An educational program used to learn basics of the Japanese language using English language. The program is available in both curriculums, latter known as Japan-easy II. Each curriculum has 24 episodes.
NHK World Radio Japan
) is the international radio arm of NHK. broadcasts a weekly lineup of news, current affairs, cultural and educative radio
program focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts.
Radio Japan provides two main feeds:
- The General Service broadcasts worldwide in Japanese and English.
- The Regional Service broadcasts to specific geographical zones in 17 languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese. Both services are available on shortwave (SW) as well as on the internet.
Radio Japan's shortwave relay stations
NHK World Radio Japan runs a domestic SW relay station:
It also leases or owns several external relay stations:
NHK World-Japan programs and content are available online.
- NHK World-Japan: online news (text) and live HQ video stream of the rolling news channel
- NHK World Radio Japan: live radio streams, podcasts and archive programming
- Learn Japanese: re-edited versions of series such as Basic Japanese for You and Brush Up Your Japanese.
Only a limited number of programs are available online for free.
- ^ "NHK WORLD-JAPAN: Promotional video". www.youtube.com. 3 July 2018. Retrieved 8 February 2020.
- ^ http://nhk.jp/world
- ^ "New Chinese Service 'NHK Huayu Shijie' Promotional Video". www.nhk.or.jp. 19 December 2018. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- ^ "New Programs of NHK WORLD-JAPAN for 2018" (PDF). www.nhk.or.jp. 21 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- ^ Lyngsat - NHK World TV Accessed July 27, 2016
- ^ NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). "TV Programs". NHK WORLD. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- ^ "TV Programs - NHK World". NHK. Archived from the original on 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- ^ What's Japan-easy? - Japan-easy II, Japanese lessons - NHK WORLD - English, retrieved 2017-12-25
- ^ NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). "FAQ - NHK WORLD - English". NHK WORLD. Archived from the original on 24 February 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
Last edited on 3 May 2021, at 08:29
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.