is a region encompassed by the five departments of northern Nicaragua: Estelí
, and Nueva Segovia. The natural boundaries, are bordered on the north by the mountains around Dipilto
, which extend to the Coco River
. On the southern border, the area is bounded by the mountains around the towns of La Trinidad
and San Nicolás
, which sweep downward to the valleys between Sébaco
and El Sauce
. Towards the east the river valleys bordering La Concordia
, San Sebastián de Yalí
and Wiwilí de Jinotega
form the demarcations of the natural boundary. Finally, on the west the boundary extends from the slope of a mountainous triangle which extends to the coastal plain
adjacent to the Pacific Ocean
, San José de Cusmapa
, and San Juan de Limay
In pre-Columbian times the region was inhabited by Native American people known as Mayangnas
. Later arrivals include the Nahua
from Mexico and the Chorotega
peoples from Cholula
One of the first regions of Nicaragua to be colonized by the Spaniards
, the conquistadors
established the city of Vieja
and later Antigua
, to implement the Corregimiento system
over the indigenous inhabitants. The corregidor
served as a type of mayor to administrate a district, exploiting the local populations to mine gold and other minerals for Spain.
The Spanish period decimated the indigenous population reducing its numbers from estimates of 75,000 people to 4,500 at the end of their occupation.
After gaining its independence, Nicaragua drafted the Constitution of 1858, which established seven departments: Chinandega, Chontales, Granada, León, Matagalpa, Nueva Segovia, and Rivas.
The Department of Jinotega was created from Matagalpa in 1892. Simultaneously, the Estelí Department was created from Nueva Segovia.
Nueva Segovia was further divided in 1936 with the creation of the Madriz Department.
In 1926, during the United States occupation of Nicaragua Las Segovias
became the center of the guerrilla warfare
led by Augusto César Sandino
, who established a network of espionage agents and collaborators from the local population.
In 1933, during the negotiations for peace in the region, Sandino asked newly elected president Juan Bautista Sacasa
to create a large autonomous department covering the area of Las Segovias
. Sandino's plan would have allowed him to administer the department and manage the civilian and military authorities. The government rejected the plan, giving the rebels only a small colony on the banks of the Coco River, where the former troops were allowed to farm.