(French pronunciation: [pɑ̃tɛ̃] (listen)
) is a commune
in the northeastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 6.4 km (4.0 mi) from the centre of Paris
. It is one of the most densely populated municipalities in Europe
. Its post code is 93500. The city is located on the edge of Paris and is mainly formed by a plain crossed by national roadway 2 and 3, the railway line Paris–Strasbourg and Ourcq canal.
Pantin borders the Paris inner ring road
(périphérique) and is traversed by national routes N2
, as well as the Paris-Strasbourg railway line and the Ourcq canal
The name Pantin was recorded for the first time in 1067 as Pentini
, perhaps from the Romanpatronym
Pentinus, a variant of Pantaenus or Repentinus, but this etymology is not certain.
On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris was enlarged by annexing neighbouring communes. On that occasion, a small part of the commune of Pantin was annexed to Paris.
On 24 July 1867, a part of the territory of Pantin was detached and merged with a part of the territory of Romainville
and a part of the territory of Bagnolet
to create the commune of Les Lilas
By 1875, the Canal de l'Ourcq
(Ourcq canal) and new railway lines served to divide the town into two parts—the "Village" and the "Quatre Chemins".
motto: Hardy Pantin en avant (forward Hardy Pantin)
The recent construction of a science park along the Bassin de la Villette
on the former site of city abattoirs has improved pedestrian access to Paris, as well as encouraging urban regeneration in Pantin itself. A key policy discussed since the 2008 mayoral election has been the possibility of integrating the ten banlieue towns of Bagnolet
, Les Lilas
, Le Pré-Saint-Gervais
, Pantin, Noisy-le-Sec
into an "intercommune" of around 440,000 people. This new municipality could be created as early as January 2010. This project was implemented, it gathers nine communes. In 2016, Pantin was declared France's most polluted town by the World Health Organization
Place of birth of residents of Pantin in 1999
Pantin Mills, headquarters of BNP Paribas Securities Services since 2009.
Pantin was once the site of Motobecane
2,000 companies are located in Pantin, including 21 of more than 100 employees. Huge firms are located in the town, like Hermès
(580 jobs – upholstery and luxury luggage), Bourjois, Chanel
, Agnès b.
, Sergent-Major, Elis (500 jobs – linen rental), Forclum
, UTB (400 jobs – public works), Photovista Legrand, BNP Paribas
, Alliance Healthcare
, Fabio Lucci ... and publishers as computer Software Arkeia Software and MT Software.
finished an expansion project in the city center.
The city has created a "craft center" to "4 Chemins" especially with the House Revel to promote arts jobs.
The current mayor of Pantin is Bertrand Kern of the Parti Socialiste
(PS). Kern was re-elected in 2014 for a third 6-year mayoral term.
Finally Pantin is served by numerous bus lines (151, 152, 249, 148). Outside the hours of normal public transport the town is served by the N13 and N142 Noctilien
night bus services with stops outside the Centre de la Danse, the Mairie and Rue Delizy.
Pantin is recently served by the tramway 3b (Delphine Seyrig; Elle Fitzerald: Grands Moulins de Pantin).
The commune has 11 preschools,
11 elementary schools (including one specialised school),
four public junior high schools, one private junior high school,
and three public senior high schools.
Pantin was the birthplace of:
The Centre national de la danse (CND, or National Dance Center) is an institution sponsored by the French Ministry of Culture. It studies dance in all its aspects, and is located in Pantin. The building is known for being a classic example of Brutalist architecture, and in 2004 was awarded the Prix de l'Équerre d'Argent.
- ^ "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 7 December 2020.
- ^ "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- ^ https://www.thelocal.fr/20160929/and-the-most-polluted-town-in-france-is
- ^ Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Pantin, EHESS. (in French)
- ^ Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- ^ "Ecoles maternelles." Pantin. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- ^ "Ecoles élémentaires." Pantin. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- ^ "Collèges." Pantin. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- ^ "Lycées." Pantin. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- ^ Scandicci Cultural Organizations
- ^ http://paroisse.stgermain.free.fr/
- ^ http://www.les-villes.fr/pantin.html
- ^ http://ohelyossef-pantin.com/
- ^ http://www.jta.org/2012/11/13/news-opinion/world/suspected-synagogue-vandal-arrested-near-paris
- ^ http://erfpantin.Free.fr Archived 12 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pantin
Last edited on 2 May 2021, at 23:21
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.