Guerra was born in Hoboken, New Jersey
At the age of 10, Guerra's cousin visited from Queens and introduced her to comics by leaving his issue of The Uncanny X-Men
#129 on a coffee table in her house. After reading the comic, Guerra continued to read comics thereafter. As a self-taught artist, Guerra was always interested in art, but she planned to pursue other careers, such as medicine.
In high school, Guerra attended comic conventions and began to consider pursuing a career in comics. As her plans shifted, Guerra made the decision to forgo secondary education and instead focus on pursuing a career in comics.
Guerra's first major project was the Vertigo
title Y: The Last Man
, which she co-created with Brian Vaughan and pencilled for.
Guerra has worked on various independent titles since the mid-1990s, though Y: The Last Man
is known as her "big break" in the comics industry.
From 2013 to 2015, she worked on five comic book covers, including a variant cover for Black Canary
- Card Illustrator: Rage (White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast, 1998)
- Card Illustrator: Legend of the Five Rings (Paul Allen, Wizards of the Coast, Timm, 2000)
- Co-creator and Penciller:Y: The Last Man (with Brian K. Vaughan, Vertigo, 2002–2008)
- Penciller: Heroes Anonymous #2 (Scott Gimple, Bongo Comics, 2003)
- Penciller: Spider-man Unlimited #10 (Maria-Emiko Macuaga and Marc Sumerak, Marvel, 2005)
- Co-writer and Penciller: Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror #13 (With Ian Boothby, Bongo Comics, 2007)
- Penciller and Inker: Doctor Who: The Forgotten (Tony Lee, IDW Publishing, 2008–)
- Cover artist: Elephantmen #64 (Richard Starkings, Image Comics, 2015)
- Artist: Black Canary #4 (Brenden Fletcher, DC Comics, 2015)
- Contributor: La BD Est Charlie (Glénat Editions, 2015)
- ^ Singh, Arune (September 20, 2002). "Vertigo's 'Last (Wo)Man' Standing: Pia Guerra Talks About Hit Series 'Y'". CBR.com.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l "Pia's Resume". Hellkitty Studios. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ "Spider-Man Unlimited (2004 - 2006) | Comic Books | Comics | Marvel.com". marvel.com. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- ^ Ferreras, Jesse. "How a B.C. cartoonist sketched an enduring memorial to Florida school shooting victims", Global News, February 24, 2018. Accessed August 26, 2018. "Guerra, a Vancouver resident, was born in Hoboken, N.J., the daughter of a musician from Chile and a mother from Finland."
- ^ a b c d "Sequential Tart: Pia Guerra: Y: The Last Monkey". Sequential Tart. July 2003.
- ^ "Pia and the Last Man Standing". Comicon. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-05-29.
- ^ Minnick, Remy (August 22, 2008). Pia Guerra talks "Doctor Who: The Forgotten". CBR.com.
- ^ "Pia Guerra". The Nib. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ Schmidt, Samantha (February 20, 2018). "This single cartoon about school shootings is breaking people's hearts". The Washington Post.
- ^ Hassler, Chelsea Adelaine (February 22, 2018). "The 1 Cartoon About School Shootings Every American Needs to See". PopSugar.
- ^ "Interview: Pia Guerra". The Outhouse. October 31, 2006.
- ^ "Spider-Man Unlimited (2004) #10 | Comics | Marvel.com". marvel.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ "Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror #13 | Bongo Comics". www.bongocomics.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ "Elephantmen #64 | Releases | Image Comics". imagecomics.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ "BLACK CANARY #4". DC. 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ "2003 Harvey Award Winners". The Harvey Awards. Archived from the original on 8 November 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- ^ "2006 Nominees and Winners". Joe Shuster Awards. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- ^ "2008 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award and Other Award Winners". Comic-Con 2008. San Diego Comic-Con International. Archived from the original on 2010-11-14. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- ^ "Le Prix du Festival International de la Bande Dessinée Angoulême". www.hahnlibrary.net. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- ^ "2009 Hugo Award Nominations". thehugoawards.com. thehugoawards.com. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
Last edited on 17 April 2021, at 05:07
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.