• ... that before The Jabberwock
was a Berkeley
folk music club, it was the jazz
club Tsubo, where Wes Montgomery
recorded his live album Full House
on July 25, 1962?
• ... that the San Francisco Ballet Building (pictured, right)
, designed by architect Beverly Willis
, was “the first building in the United States to be designed and constructed exclusively for the use of a major ballet company”?
• ... that Oakland'sCalifornia Hotel(pictured, left)
, starting in 1953, was the only full service hotel in the East Bay that welcomed black people?
• ... that El Tecolote
, published in San Francisco, is the longest running bilingual newspaper in California that is printed in both English and Spanish?
• ... that the Sir and Star
hotel in Olema
was constructed by the area's original Spanish land grantee, Rafael Garcia, in 1876 as part of a 9,000 acre land grant from Mexico?
• ... that after the San Francisco Fire of 1851
, "Nothing remained of the city but the sparsely settled outskirts"?
• ... that the Manhattan Project
used 14,700 short tons (13,300 t) of silver?