Provisional State Council
The Provisional State Council was established under the name Moetzet HaAm (מועצת העם
, lit. People's Council
) on 12 April 1948 in preparation for independence just over a month later. There were 37 members representing all sides of the Jewish
political spectrum, from the Revisionists
to the Communists
. A separate body, Minhelet HaAm
was set up as the proto-cabinet
, all of whose members were also members of Moetzet HaAm.
On 14 May at 13:50, Moetzet HaAm met at the Jewish National Fund
building in Tel Aviv
to vote on the text of the Israeli Declaration of Independence
. Despite disagreements over issues such as borders and religion, it was passed unanimously and the meeting ended at 15:00, an hour before the declaration was to be made. The 37 members were those that signed the declaration.
Following independence, the body was renamed the Provisional State Council. Its last meeting was held on 3 February 1949, after which it was replaced by the Constituent Assembly which was had been elected
on 25 January. The Constituent Assembly first convened on 14 February, and two days later declared itself the first Knesset
Last edited on 29 April 2021, at 20:27
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.