is the function of governments which ensures the protection of citizens, persons in their territory, organizations, and institutions against threats to their well-being – and to the prosperity of their communities.
To meet the increasing challenges in the public security area, responsible public institutions and organisations can tap into their own intelligence
to successfully address possible threats in advance. They optimise their internal structures, use synergies, and carefully balance costs and benefits of their measures.
Public safety organizations
include law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services. The public safety issues that a municipality, county, state, or federal jurisdiction might grapple with include narcotic use, trespassing, burglary, harassment, juvenile delinquency, unauthorized living, noise, littering
, inappropriate social behavior, inebriation, and other quality of life issues. Generally organizations are involved in the prevention
of and protection from events that could endanger the safety
of the general public
from significant danger
, injury, or property damage
, such as crimes
or disasters (natural
and international terrorism
are hardly deterred by geographical, linguistic, or financial barriers. Competence and administrative hurdles play into their hands.
The latter has largely contributed to public security becoming an important political and economic issue, nationally as well as internationally. Politics, public organizations and businesses closely collaborate to guarantee public security and maintain a stable environment for economic prosperity.
Although public security significantly contributes to the attractiveness of a location, the productivity of its people, and hence the overall success of an economy, the sector frequently suffers from low budgets, limited resources, and inadequate information systems. Large events, pandemics
, severe accidents
, environmental disasters
, and terrorism
attacks pose additional threats to public security and order.
The police, federal police and border authorities nonetheless need to warrant the security of the country as a fundamental prerequisite for the domestic political ability to act. The quality and scope of potential threats have changed significantly, and the tasks and general framework for the police, federal police and border authorities have changed accordingly.
There are five sub-sectors within public security:
Intelligence and information sharing
Emergency services include:
Judicial services include:
Interior services include:
- By nation
- In Australia, Australian Institute of Public Safety, Australian Federal Police  
- In Brazil, National Secretariat of Public Safety
- In Canada, Public Safety Canada
- In France, Committee of Public Safety
- In Japan, National Public Safety Commission (Japan)
- In South Korea, National Police Commission (South Korea)
- In United Kingdom, Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (Northern Ireland only)
- In United States, Department of Public Safety
- In Mongolia, State Emergency Commission (Mongolia)
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials-International
- Civil defense
- Civil defense sirens
- Coast guard
- Common Alerting Protocol
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Emergency management
- Emergency telephone number
- Neighborhood Watch
- ^ http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc131/p538238_A1b.pdf
Last edited on 18 April 2021, at 05:59
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.