For the United States Air Force squadron, see 84 RADES
) is a harbour
city in Ben Arous Governorate
. Situated 9 kilometers south-east of the capital Tunis
, some consider it a Tunis suburb, and parts of the harbor installations of Tunis are located in Radès.
Rades is divided into sub cities: Radès Medina, Radès Méliane, Rades Forêt, Chouchet Radès, El Malleha, Noubou and The Olympic city, Rades Montjil, Rades echat .Way to Zahra district and el Oulija.[clarification needed]
From the beginning of the Muslim conquest of the Maghreb
, the hill of Rades was equipped with a ribat
. It is around this ribat, which has long since disappeared, that the village of which it is spoken in the 11th century
was built and which seems to have been provided with a port since that time. Under the Hafsides
spread over the hillsides.
During the reign of the Husseinite beys, Radès was inhabited by farmers
and sought by the notables of Tunis
The locality then grew rapidly and extended to the beach and the surrounding hills during the 19th century. High dignitaries built houses such as houses in a Hispano-Arabic style decorated with gardens such as those of governor Mokhtar Ben Zid
and brigadier general Allala Ben Frija
, who built a house there in 1862.
Between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century
, members of the Djellouli family built themselves beautiful houses of Hispano-Arabic style, notably the ministers M'hammed Djellouli and Taïeb Djellouli, as well as the Governor Sadok Djellouli. French
residents also built bourgeois villas in Europe
. One can quote the colonial villa built in 1905 and bought by the Grand Vizier M'hamed Chenik, which gives it Hispano-Moorish and Italian styles; His brother Hassen, a notable landowner, lived in the villa Vacherot
, which became his residence in the middle of the 20th century.
The modern name of the town, Radès, derives from the Latin
expression "Maxula per races" (Maxula by the ferries), Maxula being the original Libyco-Berber
name of the village near which is in the Antiquity a station of boats whose function is To connect the terminus of the coastal road with Carthage by sea. The Arabs have retained from this toponymic designation only spleens which they have transformed into Rades.
The Maxula-Radès tramway to the sea was tram
line that ran between Maxula-Radès station and the Mediterranean
coast from 1902 and until the 1920s. The Beylical Decree of July 7, 1902 approved the agreement signed on June 23 of the same year between the Director of Public Works and Mr. Gaudens-Ravotti (industrial and public works contractor)
for the construction and operation of a line of Tramway
The track was built with a width of sixty centimeters and animal traction was used. The line ran along Boulevard Massicault and has a length of two kilometers
- ^ Jacques Revault, Palace and summer residences of the region of Tunis. 16th-19th centuries, ed. CNRS, (Paris, 1974), p. 432
- ^ Jacques Revault, Palace and summer residences of the region of Tunis. 16th-9th centuries, ed. CNRS, (Paris, 1974), p. 432
- ^ [Titular Episcopal See of Maxula Prates], at GCatholic.org.
- ^ Journal of the French courts in Tunisia, ed. French printing company Borrel, (Tunis, 1902), p. 416
- ^ Annals of the Chamber of Deputies: parliamentary documents, vol. 69, ed. Imprimerie du Journal officiel, Paris, 1906, p. 314
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Radès
Last edited on 31 October 2020, at 15:16
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.