Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts - Schools of Architecture, Design and Conservation
The Royal Danish Academy of Portraiture, Sculpture, and Architecture
in Copenhagen was inaugurated on 31 March 1754
, and given as a gift to the King Frederik V
on his 31st birthday.
Its name was changed to the Royal Danish Academy of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture
in 1771. At the same event, Johann Friedrich Struensee
introduced a new scheme in the academy to encourage artisan apprentices to take supplementary classes in drawing so as to develop the notion of "good taste". The building boom resulting from the Great Fire of 1795
greatly profited from this initiative.
In 1814 the name was changed again, this time to the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
. It is still situated in its original building, the Charlottenborg Palace
, located on the Kongens Nytorv
. The School of Architecture has been situated in former naval buildings on Holmen
The academy is under the administration of the Danish Ministry of Culture.
The Academy’s School of Architecture offers education in the fields of architectural design and restoration, urban and landscape planning and industrial, graphic and furniture design. The school has nine study departments, four research institutes and six affiliated research centres. The undergraduate course, leading to the Bachelor of Architecture diploma, lasts three years while the Master of Arts in Architecture is a two-year graduate course. Notable Danish architect Arne Jacobsen
, a major influence behind the Architectural Functionalism, studied at the Academy, as did Bjarke Ingels
, the rising star in the world of architecture and design. In 2011, the Wall Street Journal
named Ingels the Innovator of the Year for architecture.
Notable alumni and faculty
The School of Visual Arts
The School of Architecture
Directors of the Royal Academy schools
Gustav III's Visit to the academy 1780 (Martin)
Model Class at the academy circa 1824 (Lorentzen)
Model Class at the academy 1826 (Bendz)
Plaster cast collection 1843 (Exner)
Thorvaldsen's studio at Charlottenborg, painted by Johan Vilhelm Gertner
while he was still a student at the academy (1836)
Notes and references
- ^ "Højbro Plads". Golden Days. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- ^ "Nina Saemundsson" (PDF). Reykjavík Art Museum. 2008. Retrieved 2020-06-15.
- ^ "Denmark". Directory of Open Access Repositories. UK: University of Nottingham. Archived from the original on 6 February 2009. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
Last edited on 27 August 2021, at 11:18
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.