This article is about the library serving the county of San Diego. For the library serving the city, see San Diego Public Library
The San Diego County Library
is a public library system serving San Diego County
in the U.S. state of California. Any person living in the state is eligible for a free library card. The San Diego County Library consists of 33 branches, two bookmobiles, and two 24/7 Library to Go kiosks. Library Journal
and Gale (part of Cengage Learning) conferred the 2012 Library of the Year award on the San Diego County Library.
During the 2015–2016 fiscal year the San Diego County Library circulated over 11.5 million books, CDs, DVDs, and other material formats; recorded 5.4 million visits to library branches and hosted 34,890 library programs. The San Diego County Library is one of the 25 busiest libraries in the United States as measured by materials circulated. Despite budget cuts, the County library system has increased hours of operation.
The San Diego County Library circulates a variety of materials, including books, DVDs, compact discs, downloadable audiobooks
, and magazines. The library carries materials in a variety of languages.
The San Diego County Library also participates in the Link+
borrowing consortium, loaning and borrowing books and media from over 40 libraries throughout California and Nevada, under much the same borrowing procedure as the San Diego Circuit.
The library is utilizing technology to improve customer service. Customers are able to browse the catalog
via the Internet, enabling them to request items, and view their account.
Most library branches have express checkout
machines that allow customers to check their items out themselves.
Many branches of the library have express check in machines that allow customers to check their items in themselves as well.
Some customers may qualify for the library's award-winning Books-by-Mail program.
Public computer services
Each branch library offers free computer use, including internet access and word processing
. All branches offer 3D printing and free Wi-Fi
internet access. The library subscribes to a number of subscription online resources (e.g. Morningstar
downloadable audiobooks) that customers may access from home.
The San Diego County Library provides a wide range of programming for customers of all ages. During the 2007–2008 fiscal year, the library system hosted 13,858 programs.
The library often hosts performers, such as musicians, magicians
, and puppeteers
. Other events include book discussions
, film screenings, and craft
instruction. The San Diego County Library publishes a comprehensive print calendar detailing events at every branch library, as well as a web-based calendar, located on the library's web site.
Literacy Services & Online High School
LEARN (Libraries Empower All to Read Now) is the San Diego County Library's adult literacy program.
LEARN offers free tutoring in basic reading, writing and math skills, as well as tutoring in standardized tests, such as the GED
and the ASVAB
. LEARN also provides U.S. citizenship and naturalization classes as well as services for English as a Second Language (ESL
) in collaboration with community partners.
The San Diego County Library offers adults an opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma through the Career Online High School program.
The San Diego County Library is composed of 33 branches,
There are also two mobile libraries
, which serve the east and north parts of San Diego County. There are also four 24/7 Library to Go kiosks; located in Bonsall
, Boulevard, Chula Vista, and San Diego
Anyone possessing a library card can borrow and return books at any branch. In addition, materials may be transferred between these branches for pickup by customers, at no charge.
- ^ a b "San Diego County Library "All Locations" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ a b c d e "San Diego County Library "About Us" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ "San Diego County Library "Director Biography" Page". Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ "California Library Statistics 2008 (2006 – 2007 fiscal year) (PDF)" (PDF). Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ "2012 Gale/LJ Library of the Year: San Diego County Library, Empowering the Public". lj.libraryjournal.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ "San Diego County Library". San Diego County Library.
- ^ "County Library Director Wins State Award". San Diego County Library. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- ^ "What is the San Diego Circuit?". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ "Link+ member libraries". Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- ^ "San Diego County Library Catalog". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ Helen Gao. "Self-serve checkouts get good reviews". Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- ^ "San Diego County Library "Books by Mail" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ "San Diego County Library "Databases" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- ^ "San Diego County Library "Adult Literacy" Page". Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "San Diego County Library". www.sdcl.org. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ "San Diego County Library". www.sdcl.org. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
Last edited on 17 September 2020, at 07:36
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.