en.m.wikipedia.org
Le Bardo: Difference between revisions
← Previous edit
Next edit →
Le Bardo (edit)
Revision as of 21:12, 20 May 2015
NO CHANGE IN SIZE
,  6 YEARS AGO
no edit summary
'''Le Bardo''' (also '''Bārdaw''', '''Bardaw''', and '''Bardois''') is a [[Tunisia]]n city west of [[Tunis]]. As of 2004, the population is 73,953.
 
Built by the [[Hafsid dynasty]] in the 15th century, the name Bardo comes from the Spanish word "pardoprado" meaning a garden. Bardo became a residence of the Tunis court in the 18th century. With the arrival of [[Husainid Dynasty|Hussein]]ite [[bey]]s, Bardo became a political, intellectual and religious center. The ancient beys residence was actually the site of the Tunisian National Assembly headquarters, and the National Museum opened there in 1882.
 
The city gave its name to the [[Treaty of Bardo]], signed in nearby Ksar Saïd palace, which placed Tunisia under [[France|French]] [[protectorate]] in 1881.
Anonymous user
94.37.132.186
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Privacy policy
Terms of Use
Desktop
HomeRandomNearbyLog inSettingsDonateAbout WikipediaDisclaimers