Hama: Difference between revisions
Hama grew prosperous during the Ayyubid period, as well as the Mamluk period. It gradually expanded to both banks of the Orontes River, with the suburb on the right bank being connected to the town proper by a newly built bridge. The town on the left bank was divided into upper and lower parts, each of which was surrounded by a wall. The city was filled with palaces, markets, mosques, ''[[madrasa]]s'', and a hospital, and over thirty different sized [[noria]]s (water-wheels). In addition, there stood a massive citadel in Hama.<ref name="DSA163"/> Moreover, a special aqueduct brought drinking water to Hama from the neighboring town of [[Salamiyah]].<ref name="DSA163"/>
[[Ibn Battuta]] visited Hama in 1335 and remarked that the Orontes River made the city "pleasant to live in, with its many gardens full of trees and fruits." He also speaks of a large suburb called al-Mansuriyyah (named after an Ayyubid emir) that contained "a fine market, a mosque, and bathes."<ref name="Strange360">le Strange, 1890, p.360.</ref> In 1400, [[Timurlane]] conqueredtook Hama, along with nearby [[Homs]] and [[Baalbek]].<ref>le Strange, 1890, p.xxiii.</ref>
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.