Taha Yasin Ramadan al-Jizrawi
: طه ياسين رمضان الجزراوي
; c. 1938 – 20 March 2007) was an Iraqi-Kurdish politician and military officer
who served as one of the three vice presidents of Iraq
from March 1991 to the fall of Saddam Hussein
in April 2003.
He was one of the defendants in the Iraq Special Tribunal
's Al-Dujail trial
. On 5 November 2006, he was sentenced to life imprisonment. On 26 December 2006, the appeals court sent the case file back to the Tribunal, saying the sentence was too lenient and demanding a death sentence.
On 12 February 2007, he was sentenced to death by hanging.
His sentence was carried out on the fourth anniversary of Iraq's US invasion, before dawn on 20 March 2007.
Proposed resolution to United States–Iraq conflict In October 2002, four months before the United States invaded Iraq, Ramadan suggested U.S. President George W. Bush
and Saddam Hussein settle their difference in a duel.
He reasoned this would not only serve as an alternative to a war that was certain to damage Iraq's infrastructure,
but that it would also reduce the suffering of the Iraqi and American peoples. Ramadan's offer included the possibility that a group of US officials would face off with a group of Iraqi officials of same or similar rank (President v. President, Vice President v. Vice President, etc.). Ramadan proposed that the duel be held in a neutral land, with each party using the same weapons, and with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan
presiding as the supervisor. On behalf of Bush, White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer
declined the offer.
- ^ "Taha Yassin Ramadan". The Guardian. London. 21 March 2007. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- ^ "Saddam's VP Is Captured". CBS News. CBS. Associated Press. 19 August 2003. Retrieved 20 March 2007.
- ^ "Iraqi court upholds Saddam's death sentence". NBC News. Associated Press. 28 December 2006. Retrieved 20 March 2007.
- ^ "Top Saddam aide sentenced to hang". BBS News. 12 February 2007. Retrieved 20 March 2007.
- ^ "Former Iraq vice-president hanged". BBC News. 20 March 2007. Retrieved 20 March 2007.
- ^ Kim Gamel (20 March 2007). "Taha Yassin Ramadan, Saddam's Deputy, Is Hanged Before Dawn". New York Sun. Associated Press. Archived from the original on 31 December 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
- ^ "Bush challenged to 'duel' with Saddam, October 3, 2002". BBC News. 3 October 2002. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- ^ Kelly Wallace (3 October 2002). "W.H. rejects Bush-Saddam duel offer". CNN. Archived from the original on 17 April 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
Last edited on 29 June 2021, at 20:31
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.