(Albanian pronunciation: [ˈvatʃɛ ˈzɛla]
; 7 April 1939 – 6 February 2014) was an Albanian
singer and songwriter.
She was a leading figure in the music industry and is considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century in the Albanian
Born in Lushnjë
and raised in Tirana
within Communist Albania
, she developed a great interest in music at an early age before embarking on a professional career as a musician in 1962. An eleven-time winner, she built her reputation as a highly successful musician by winning the first edition of Festivali i Këngës
as well as her future victories in the festival.
Vaçe Zela was born on 7 April 1939 in the city of Lushnjë
, then part of the Kingdom of Albania
, into an Albanian
family, as she herself said, in which music was "sitting cross-legged in everyone's soul".
The first to discover Zela's talents were her school teachers. She was not only talented in music, but also in painting and theater. Zela was only ten years old when she began to sing folk songs from the Myzeqe
region. She would often casually sing in her city of Lushnje's parks, attracting the passersby. Soon she would participate in small concerts organized in the city, although her parents did not like much the idea that their daughter took such a path. Nevertheless, she went to Tirana
to compete in order to study at the prestigious School of Arts, but was not accepted, and attended Qemal Stafa High School
, where she began to learn the guitar.
Zela was first appointed in the Army's Ensemble
: Ansambli i Ushtrisë
), then in the State's Ensemble (Albanian
: Ansambli Shtetëror
), and finally the Ensemble of Songs and Dances (Albanian
: Ansambli i Këngëve dhe Valleve
Zela was the first winner of the first Songs Festival in Albania
with the song "First Child" (Albanian
: Fëmija i parë
) on 26 December 1962. International awards include "Golden Disk"
, "Woman of the year" in Cambridge, England
for '97-'98, "Golden Microphone" from the Ministry of Culture of Kosovo
, etc. The latest award was "Special Grand Prize for Singing Legend", the 45th anniversary of the Festival at ART
, for the singer's unique contribution to Albanian music
, and participation since the very first years of this festival, during which she received many awards.
- ^ a b "Vaçe Zela–Biography". teksteshqip.com (in Albanian).
- ^ Routledge p. 569
- ^ "Historiku–Festivali i Këngës". festivali-rtsh.al (in Albanian). Radio Televizioni Shqiptar. Ndonëse nuk pati një këngë fituese, vlerësime u bënë për këngëtarët mes të cilëve këngëtarja e madhe Vaçe Zela me çmim të parë.
- ^ "Më 7 prill 1939 lindi Vaçe Zela, këngëtare ikonë e skenës shqiptare (dosjer)". voal.ch (in Albanian). 7 April 2017.
- ^ "Ndahet nga jeta artistja e madhe Vaçe Zela". shekulli.com.al (in Albanian). 6 February 2014.
- ^ "URDHRI "NDERI I KOMBIT" (2002)" (PDF). president.al (in Albanian). President of Albania. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 October 2006.
- ^ "Ajo kishte lindur në një familje ku kënga ishte ulur këmbëkryq në shpirtrat e të gjithëve". naishtedikur.info (in Albanian). 12 August 2019.
- ^ Q. Stafa High School website. "Historiku". Archived from the original on 2014-01-12.
- ^ a b Tochka, Nicholas (2016-11-01). Audible States: Socialist Politics and Popular Music in Albania. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-046783-8.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vaçe Zela
Last edited on 14 April 2021, at 17:56
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.