Taylor & Francis Group
is an international company originating in England that publishes books and academic journals
. It is a division of Informa plc
, a United Kingdom–based publisher and conference company.
Previous Taylor & Francis logo from a 1900 publication
Routledge/Taylor & Francis at an American academic conference, 2008
Taylor & Francis at the University of London School of Advanced Study History Day, 2017
The company was founded in 1852 when William Francis joined Richard Taylor
in his publishing business. Taylor had founded his company in 1798. Their subjects covered agriculture, chemistry, education, engineering, geography, law, mathematics, medicine, and social sciences.
Francis's son, Richard Taunton Francis (1883–1930), was sole partner in the firm from 1917 to 1930.
In 1965, Taylor & Francis launched Wykeham Publications and began book publishing. T&F acquired Hemisphere Publishing in 1988, and the company was renamed Taylor & Francis Group to reflect the growing number of imprints
. Taylor & Francis left the printing business in 1990, to concentrate on publishing. In 1998 it went public on the London Stock Exchange and in the same year bought its academic publishing rival Routledge
for £90 million. Acquisition
of other publishers has remained a core part of the group's business strategy.
It merged with Informa in 2004 to create a new company called T&F Informa, since renamed back to Informa
Following the merger, T&F closed the historic Routledge office at New Fetter Lane
in London, and moved to its current headquarters in Milton Park, Oxfordshire.
Taylor & Francis Group is now the academic publishing arm of Informa, and accounted for 30.2% of Group Revenue and 38.1% of Adjusted Profit in 2017.
Taylor & Francis publishes more than 2,700 journals, and about 7,000 new books each year, with a backlist of over 140,000 titles available in print and digital formats.
It uses the Routledge
imprint for its publishing in humanities, social sciences, behavioural sciences, law and education, and the CRC Press
imprint for its publishing in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
In 2017, T&F sold assets from its Garland Science
imprint to W. W. Norton & Company
and then ceased to use that brand.
Although generally considered the smallest of the 'Big Four' STEM
, and Taylor & Francis),
its Routledge imprint is claimed to be the largest global academic publisher within humanities and social sciences.
The company's journals have been delivered through the Taylor & Francis Online website since June 2011. Prior to that they were provided through the Informaworld website.
Taylor & Francis ebooks are now available via the TaylorFrancis website.
Taylor & Francis operates a number of Web services for its digital content
including Routledge Handbooks Online,
the Routledge Performance Archive,
Secret Intelligence Files
and Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism.
Taylor & Francis offers Open Access
publishing options in both its books
divisions and through its Cogent Open Access journals imprint.
The old Taylor and Francis logo depicts a hand pouring oil into a lit lamp, along with the Latin phrase alere flammam
– "to feed the flame [of knowledge]". The modern logo is a stylised oil lamp in a circle.
The group has about 1,800 employees
in at least 18 offices worldwide. Its head office is in Milton Park
in the United Kingdom, with other offices in Stockholm, Leiden
, New York, Boca Raton
, Philadelphia, Kentucky
, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei
, Melbourne, Sydney, Cape Town, Tokyo and New Delhi.
Taylor & Francis reported a mean 2017 gender pay gap
of 24.2% for its UK workforce, while the median was 8%. The fact that the average pay for women is significantly worse than the median pay (compared to men's) shows that women are underrepresented in the positions with the highest pay.
In 2013, the entire board of the Journal of Library Administration
resigned in a dispute over author licensing agreements.
In December 2018, the journal Dynamical Systems
accepted the paper Saturation of Generalized Partially Hyperbolic Attractors
only to have it retracted after publication due to the Iranian nationality of the authors. The European Mathematical Society
condemned the retraction and later announced that Taylor & Francis had agreed to reverse the decision.
Previous instances of Taylor & Francis journals discriminating against Iranian authors were reported in 2013.
Manipulation of bibliometrics
Acquired companies and discontinued imprints
- ^ "Info: Orders - Routledge" (Text). Routledge.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- ^ "Informa Plc Trading Update 26th May 2017"(PDF). Informa.;
- ^ "Senior Management Team". Informa.
- ^ "Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2017"(PDF).
- ^ a b "Informa PLC Results for 12 Months to 31 December 2016" (PDF).
- ^ a b c "Informa: About Academic Publishing".
- ^ About Us Archived 2006-11-18 at the Wayback Machine, Taylor & Francis, UK.
- ^ Brock, W.H. & Meadows, A.J. (1998). The Lamp of Learning: Taylor & Francis and Two Centuries of Publishing. Taylor & Francis.
- ^ Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0-902-198-84-X.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition Archived 2012-05-04 at WebCite - Taylor & Francis.
- ^ "T&F and Informa merge, books unit to move". 2 March 2004.
- ^ a b c d "Results for 12 months to 31 December 2017" (PDF). Informa. December 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Announces Imprint Changes". 11 March 2005.
- ^ "W.W. Norton & Company Inc. has acquired certain assets of Garland Science from Taylor & Francis Group". Broadwater & Associates. December 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- ^ Larivière, Vincent; Haustein, Stefanie; Mongeon, Philippe (2015-06-10). "The Oligopoly of Academic Publishers in the Digital Era". PLOS One. 10 (6): e0127502. Bibcode:2015PLoSO..1027502L. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127502. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 4465327. PMID 26061978.
- ^ "Outsell HSS Market Size Share Forecast"(PDF).
- ^ "Publishing With Us - Routledge". Taylor & Francis Group. 2016.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Online – FAQs" (PDF). Taylor & Francis Group. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 May 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- ^ "A world of knowledge and information. Browse our vast collection of over 90,000 eBooks in specialist subjects led by a global network of editors and authors". Taylor & Francis Group. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Routledge Handbooks Online". routledgehandbooks.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Home". routledgeperformancearchive.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Home Page - Secret Intelligence Files". secretintelligencefiles.com. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- ^ "Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism". Routledge. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- ^ "Routledge Books Open Access".
- ^ "Open Access".
- ^ "OASPA Members".
- ^ "STM Members".
- ^ "ALPSP Member Directory".
- ^ "PA Members and Affiliates". The Publishers Association. 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- ^ "Academic Digital Research Services start-up Colwiz joins Taylor & Francis Group". Taylor & Francis Newsroom. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ a b "T&F buys reference-management tool colwiz". The Bookseller. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis buys F1000 Research".
- ^ "OASPA Members".
- ^ "Informa Office Locator: Taylor & Francis". Informa.
- ^ Page, Benedicte (2018-03-29). "Four more academic publishers reveal gender pay gaps". thebookseller.com.
- ^ Dupuis, John. "Journal of Library Administration editorial board resigns over author rights". ScienceBlogs. ScienceBlogs LLC. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- ^ "Brokers of junk science?". publicintegrity.org.
- ^ Waldman, Peter; Stecker, Tiffany; Rosenblatt, Joel (2017-08-09). "Monsanto Was Its Own Ghostwriter for Some Safety Reviews". Bloomberg Businessweek. Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- ^ McCook, Alison. "Public health journal's editorial board tells publisher they have "grave concerns" over new editor". RetractionWatch. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- ^ Mytelka, Andrew (2017-05-20). "Hoax Article in Social-Science Journal Gets a Rise out of Some Scholars". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- ^ Jaschik, Scott (2017-05-22). "Hoax With Multiple Targets". Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- ^ "Retracted Article: The conceptual penis as a social construct". Cogent Social Sciences. 3 (1). 31 May 2017. doi:10.1080/23311886.2017.1336861.
- ^ "The EMS condemns Taylor & Francis's attack on freedom of science". European Mathematical Society. 2018-12-12. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- ^ Baghianimoghadam, Behnam (2014-02-09). "Scientific sanctions: A catastrophe for the civilized world". Indian Journal of Medical Ethics. 11 (2): 130. doi:10.20529/IJME.2014.035. PMID 24727630. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis group bans publication of articles by Iranian authors". Fars News. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- ^ McKiernan, Erin C.; Schimanski, Lesley A.; Muñoz Nieves, Carol; Matthias, Lisa; Niles, Meredith T.; Alperin, Juan Pablo (2019-04-09). "Use of the Journal Impact Factor in academic review, promotion, and tenure evaluations". eLife. 8. doi:10.7287/peerj.preprints.27638v2. PMC 6668985. PMID 31364991.
- ^ Oransky, Author Ivan (2020-06-29). "Major indexing service sounds alarm on self-citations by nearly 50 journals". Retrieved 2020-07-01.
- ^ a b " Swets & Zeitlinger sells Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers", 6 November 2003.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Acumen Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Recent Transactions".
- ^ "Welcome to the Criminology & Criminal Justice Textbook Catalog".
- ^ "Routledge Architecture".
- ^ "Trillium Partners extends its educational and academic publishing M&A sector experience"Archived 2014-02-20 at the Wayback Machine,
- ^ a b "Informa Pays £20M for Ashgate Publishing".
- ^ "New Books from Auerbach Publications".
- ^ "Baywood Publishing is now a part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- ^ Wright, Victoria (2012). "Bellwether Publishing Journals Join Geography Market Leader Routledge/Taylor & Francis for 2013". Editors' Bulletin. 8 (2–3): 93–94. doi:10.1080/17521742.2012.807061.
- ^ "Bibliomotion Acquired by Taylor & Francis". Publishers Weekly. 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- ^ "Bloomsbury Journals Join Routledge".
- ^ "Quayle Munro advises shareholders of Cavendish Publishing on sale to Informa". Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ a b c Steele, Richard (2013-03-01). "About Taylor & Francis, the Academic Division of Informa plc". Editors' Bulletin. 9 (1): 13–18. doi:10.1080/17521742.2013.870718. ISSN null Check |issn= value (help).
- ^ "Expertise Legal Services". Fladgate LLP. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Informa in deal to buy Dove Medical Press".
- ^ "Donhead Publishing".
- ^ "Earthscan acquired by Taylor & Francis".
- ^ Mary H. Munroe (2004). "Taylor & Francis Timeline". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Archived from the original on October 2014 – via Northern Illinois University.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis buys F1000 Research". Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- ^ "Global Publishing Leaders 2013: Informa". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Taylor and Francis announce acquisition of Frank Cass & Co", 28 July 2003.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group plc acquires Gordon and Breach Publishing Group", 14 February 2001.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Ashgate".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises the shareholders of Greengage Press on sale to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Greenleaf Publishing and GSE Research, based at Salts Mills in Saltaire, moving to Oxford after joining Informa Group". Bradford Telegraph & Argus. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises Taylor & Francis on its acquisition of Greenleaf Publishing". Bertoli Mitchell. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "Our History Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Thomas Webster leaves Hodder Education following sale of HE and Health Sciences lists". September 2, 2012. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- ^ "Holcomb Hathaway is now part of Routledge, an imprint of Taylor & Francis". routledge.com. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- ^ "Karnac Publishing transfers to Taylor & Francis". Bertoli Mitchell. September 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Aeon Books re-launches with new imprint". The Bookseller. January 2018. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group LLC acquires Landes Bioscience". Taylor & Francis. June 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Left Coast Press".
- ^ Joshua Farrington, "T&F buys Manson Publishing", The Bookseller, 10 April 2013.
- ^ "Taylor & Francis acquires Marcel Dekker", 20 November 2003.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes M. E. Sharpe". Archived from the original on 13 July 2015.
- ^ "Routledge Welcomes Paradigm".
- ^ a b "Blog - Librarian Resources". Librarian Resources. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Pickering and Chatto to Taylor & Francis". bertolimitchell.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- ^ "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Planners Press Is Now Part of Taylor & Francis Group". American Planning Association. 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- ^ "Productivity Press: About Us". productivitypress.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- ^ Harry Ransom Center; University of Reading Library. "Firms out of Business". Retrieved June 8, 2017 – via University of Texas at Austin. Information about vanished publishing concerns, literary agencies, and similar firms
- ^ "Taylor & Francis Group Acquires Pyrczak Publishing". routledge.com. 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Radcliffe Healthcare to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "RFF Press".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell advises Electric Word in the sale of Speechmark Publishing".
- ^ "Electric Word sells Speechmark Publis to Informa".
- ^ "St Jerome is now part of Routledge Books".
- ^ "Recent Transactions". Broadwater LLC. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "We are delighted to welcome Transaction Publishers into the Taylor & Francis Group". Routledge. 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- ^ "We are delighted to welcome Westview Publishing into the Taylor & Francis Group".
- ^ "Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Willan Publishing to Taylor & Francis".
- ^ "Willan Publishing is Now Routledge".
Last edited on 13 March 2021, at 02:34
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.