Wikipedia:Request an account
To prevent the automated creation of Wikipedia accounts using bots
, Wikipedia uses an image verification method (called a CAPTCHA
) to assure that new accounts are being created by a real person. To further combat account creation abuse, Wikipedia also prevents the creation of new accounts with usernames that are too similar to other existing Wikipedia accounts.
If you have attempted to create an account
but are having trouble with the CAPTCHA
image verification step (perhaps because you are using a screen reader
or a browser that does not support images), or if you have chosen a username that is too similar to an existing username, you can request an account
be created for you.
Your username must represent you as an individual person
Usernames are not allowed on Wikipedia if they:
- only contain the names of companies, organizations, websites, musical groups or bands, teams, or creative groups
- are promotional in nature, or appear to advertise, promote, sell, or gain support or user base of any person, company, market, product, channel, or other good or service
- imply that your user account will be shared between more than one person
- only describe a role, title, or position within an organization that can be represented or held by different people
Your username must be truthful, appropriate, and support a positive editing environment
Usernames are not allowed on Wikipedia and will be immediately blocked if they:
- are offensive, profane, violent, threatening, sexually explicit, libelous, or disruptive
- are deliberately deceptive, confusing, long, similar to other accounts or users, or try to impersonate or falsely represent yourself as someone else
- imply the intent to troll, vandalize, disrupt, advertise, or spam Wikipedia
- imply the intent to harass or threaten other Wikipedia users
- imply that you are not here to build an encyclopedia or will use Wikipedia for purposes that it is not created for
To request an account using the 'Request an Account' process, please read and follow all of the instructions below:
Before you begin
- Review and understand Wikipedia's Username Policy, as any account request that is in violation of this policy will not be approved.
- Remember that you should only use one Wikipedia account. You are required to disclose all of your alternative and previously-used accounts in your request using the 'Comments' field. Any account requests that show evidence or the indication that you have ownership of an undisclosed account will not be approved. Any requests made with the intention of using the account as an illegitimate alternative (such as to hide edits or conduct, evade or circumvent blocks or sanctions, or cause disruption) will not be approved. Additionally, your attempt(s) may be reported, and may result in additional sanctions.
- Understand that this is not the place to request assistance with the deletion or recovery of any existing accounts. If you have forgotten your password, and you did not register your account with an e-mail address, then it cannot be recovered. Your only option is to create a new account and request a usurpation of your old username.
- Register an email address if you do not have one. You must verify your email address in order to complete your account request. Your account must also have your email address in order for it to be recovered in the event that you lose the ability to access it.
When you are ready to begin
- Click the "Request an account" link below and fill out all fields.
- Check your e-mail inbox for updates and further instructions regarding your account request.
- If your request is approved and your account has been created successfully, you will receive an automated e-mail from wikiwikimedia.org with your username and a randomly-generated password to your new account. You can use these credentials to log in, where you will then be prompted to create a new password.
- If there are problems with your request, you will receive an email with an explanation and the reason your account request could not be approved. You are welcome to submit a new account request using a different username.
Didn't receive your account update email?
We hope to process an account request the same day of its submission. However, it is not uncommon for requests to take 2-3 days depending on the work load and volume of requests currently pending review. In rare cases (such as server downtime or the sudden submission of an extremely high amount of legitimate account requests), requests may take weeks or even months before they are processed. Please be patient; your request will be processed as soon as possible.
Before submitting a new request or inquiring about the progress of your current request:
- Check your email's "spam" folder. Most often, the email was mistakenly flagged as spam.
- Verify that the account update email wasn't accidentally moved or otherwise triggered by any email filters or rules that you have set up for your inbox. Check all of your directories and sub-directories, and search for wikiwikimedia.org to see if it arrived.
- Did you request an account using an email address from Gmail? Your ACC request update may have been automatically filtered into one of the five default Category tabs that are enabled by default (usually the "Social" or "Promotions" category). Check each category and verify that the email wasn't automatically routed from your inbox and into one of them.
- Try recovering the account that you requested. If your request was approved and you just didn't receive the email containing your temporary password, you can have a new password generated and emailed to you by filling out Wikipedia's password reset form.
- If you need any further information, please ask at the talk page.
- To become an interface user who acts on requests, please see the guide.
Minus the exceptions that allow for the legitimate
creation and use of alternative accounts. See Wikipedia's sock puppetry
policy for more information.
Last edited on 10 May 2021, at 03:41
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.