Wikipedia:List of free online resources General resources and link lists
- Wikiversity - sister project that provides information on most academic subjects
- Footnote - historic documents through their partnerships with The National Archives, the Library of Congress and other institutions (partly free)
- Google Scholar  - provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature
- Paperity - multidisciplinary aggregator of Open Access journals and papers; provides free full text, advanced search and permanent URLs for all articles
- ipl2  - merger of the collections of resources from the Internet Public Library (IPL) and the Librarians' Internet Index (LII) websites, hosted by Drexel University College of Information Science and Technology
- Refdesk - free and family-friendly web site that indexes and reviews quality, credible, and current web-based resources
- XooxleAnswers Research - professional research service offers free research for small (circa 15-minute) projects as a means of introducing its services.
- DeepDyve - big archive of literary and scholarly journal articles; free five-minute full-text previews.
- Internet Archive Scholar - fulltext search index includes over 25 million research articles and other scholarly documents preserved in the Internet Archive.
Searching for photographs by content
Resources for sourcing and searching for photographs by the content that is depicted. Though the search engines may be accessed for free, indexed images themselves may be under restricted license.
- Google Books  - Searchable archive of magazines and books (some full-text, including photograph captions and references to photographs from related articles and content).
- United States Library of Congress  - Searchable archive of historic photographs, maps, performing arts, newspapers.
- Life (magazine) Photo Gallery Archives (web site) - Searchable archive of photographs of news and sporting events, celebrities, travel.
- NASA Images  - Searchable archive of aeronautics, space and space exploration photographs.
- Pexels  - Public domain photographs
- LibreShot (web site) - CC0 1.0 (puplic domain) photographs
- Photostockeditor  - Public domain photographs
- Freejpg  - Public domain image bank photographs
Newspapers and news agencies
- Australian Dictionary of Biography  - over 10,000 scholarly biographies of persons who were significant in Australian history
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography  - biographies devoted to people who have played an significant role in what is now Canada, who died between the years 1000 and 1930 or whose last known date of activity falls within these years
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography  - collection of more than 57,000 specially written biographies, which describe the lives of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond from the 4th century BC to the 21st century. Login is required to access, and it's not strictly free - however, if you're in the UK, entering your library card number will almost certainly get you in. Many libraries elsewhere in the world also have unrestricted access.
- Project Gutenbergs' very large collection of free, public-domain Biographies
Information and library science
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
- from EBSCO Publishing
, the bibliographic database covers librarianship, classification, and information management, and indexes nearly 600 periodicals, plus books, research reports, and proceedings
Science, mathematics, medicine & nature
- 4researchers.org - practical "how-to" information (articles, videos, presentations, and courses) about conducting research - funding, research design, study management, dissemination, career advancement, and more.
- E!Science News  - aggregated news source from major science outlets and universities
California Agriculture (web site)
- peer-reviewed journal, reporting research, reviews and news from the University of California
and its Agriculture and Natural Resources division
Biology and Medicine
Technology & computer science
- Some of the best travel Guides on Internet. Especially The Forts and Trekking Guides are available here.
- American Enterprise Institute: private, not-for-profit institution dedicated to research and education on issues of government, politics, economics, and social welfare.
- Fernand Braudel Center: the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations.
- Glossary of Selected Social Science Computing Terms and Social Science Data Terms
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research: free access for general social survey and national election survey.
- National Geographic Society 
- OECD: Economic, social, and infrastructure data on industrialized countries.
- OurEnergyPolicy.org Resource Library: free online energy policy database.
- The Overseas Young Chinese Forum (OYCF): "The Overseas Young Chinese Forum (OYCF) is established for overseas young Chinese to exchange their views on social, economic, political and cultural issues concerning China and to develop common aspirations through regular discussions."
- World-Systems Archive
- World Values Survey : "The World Values Survey is a worldwide investigation of sociocultural and political change. It has carried out representative national surveys of the basic values and beliefs of publics in more than 65 societies on all six inhabited continents, containing almost 80 percent of the world's population."
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division: world population data and trends.
- United Nations Human Development Report Office
Geography, places and travel
- Adam Carr's Election Archive: User:Adam Carr maintains the world's largest online archive of election statistics from every democratic country in the world.
- Reports and publications of the Brookings Institution, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Cato Institute, public policy think-tank headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Center for American Progress, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- EULib: large, searchable collection of official European Union news and documents.
- Foreign Affairs: periodical published by the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Foreign Policy: a leading quarterly of international affairs.
- Glossary of Political Economy Terms
- Hoover Institution: "a public policy research center devoted to advanced study of politics, economics, and political economy—both domestic and foreign—as well as international affairs."
- The Jamestown Foundation "The Jamestown Foundation's mission is to contribute to U.S. understanding of its strategic adversaries that pose a threat to democracy and freedom."
- : Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, Woodrow Wilson Center: think-tank on political, social, and economic issues affecting Russia and other successor states to the Soviet Union.
- Marxists Internet Archive - Collection of primary source documents
- Monthly Review: independent socialist journal.
- New Left Review: a key journal of the international Left.
- Paul Hensel's International Relations Data Site
- The Socialist Register
- Politics Dictionary of Arguments
- Art UK, online gallery of art pieces curated by the UK government 
- Internet Archive, an extensive collection of varied works of many different mediums
- MoMA, online gallery of art pieces curated by the Museum of Modern Art 
Last edited on 9 May 2021, at 10:32
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0
unless otherwise noted.