english.ahram.org.eg
Afghan govt imposes night curfew to stem Taliban advance
Afghan authorities imposed a night-time curfew across 31 of the country's 34 provinces to curb surging violence unleashed by a sweeping Taliban offensive in recent months
AFP , Saturday 24 Jul 2021

File photo, new Afghan Army Special Forces attend their graduation ceremony after a three-month training program at the Kabul Military Training Center, in Kabul, Afghanistan. AP
Tweet
Afghan authorities on Saturday imposed a night-time curfew across 31 of the country's 34 provinces to curb surging violence unleashed by a sweeping Taliban offensive in recent months, the interior ministry said.
The widespread Taliban offensive has seen the insurgents capture key border crossings, dozens of districts and encircle several provincial capitals since early May.
"To curb violence and limit the Taliban movements a night curfew has been imposed in 31 provinces across the country," except in Kabul, Panjshir and Nangarhar, the interior ministry said in a statement.
The curfew will be effective between 10:00 pm and 4:00 am local time, Ahmad Zia Zia, deputy interior ministry spokesman said in a separate audio statement to reporters.
With the withdrawal of American-led foreign forces all but complete, the resurgent Taliban now controls about half of Afghanistan's roughly 400 districts.
After a brief lull in violence during this week's Muslim holidays of Eid al-Adha, fighting continued again with the authorities claiming to have killed more than 260 Taliban fighters in the past 24 hours across several provinces.
Both the authorities and the Taliban exaggerate their claims which cannot be independently verified.
As the fighting raged in recent weeks, the US military was forced to carry out air strikes "to support" Afghan troops to repel Taliban offensives even as its overall withdrawal continues, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said on Thursday.
Experts say a lack of regular US air support since May to Afghan forces on the ground is a key factor in government troops losing lot of territory to the Taliban.
Late on Friday, the Taliban warned the US military against carrying out air strikes.
"It is a clear violation of the signed agreement that will have consequences," the Taliban said in a statement, referring to a landmark deal between Washington and the insurgents last year that paved the way for the withdrawal of foreign forces.
The Taliban also warned the Afghan government against launching any offensive, saying the group will "strongly defend their territories and not remain in a defensive posture if the enemy insists upon war".
The Taliban had said earlier this week that its fighters were in a "defensive" posture to mark the Eid al-Adha holidays that ended on Thursday.
Earlier this week, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff General Mark Milley said the Taliban appear to have "strategic momentum" on the battlefield.
With the militants putting pressure on around half of the country's provincial capitals, Afghan troops are in the process of "consolidating their forces" to protect those major urban centres, Milley added.
Search Keywords:
Afghan-
curfew-
Taliban-
Short link:
 
Latest
22:54 French embassy says Washington gala canceled after submarine deal
22:44 Dutch foreign minister resigns over Afghan crisis
22:22 Russia votes in parliament election without main opposition
21:53 Taliban hands over seized cash, gold to Afghan central bank
21:22 Libya’s Dbeibah says his visit to Cairo sends regional message about Egypt's.....
21:16 IMF chief denies altering World Bank report to appease China
21:05 Arteta sees light at the end of the tunnel for Arsenal
20:52 Blinken calls France 'vital partner' after Australia rift
20:35 France suspends 3,000 unvaccinated health workers
20:12 Boateng appeals assault verdict, 1.8 million euros fine
19:18 EU calls for urgent reform of WTO
18:57 Chadian rebels clash in southern Libya
18:46 Pharaohs yet to decide Mostafa Mohamed's fate after alleged rift with previous.....
18:31 EIB approves €4.8 bln commitment to accelerate climate action, support COVID-19.....
18:03 FIFA intensifies push to stage men's World Cup every 2 years
18:02 Iran could use cryptocurrency to ease sanctions: parliament
17:42 Solskjaer demands Man Utd response after Champions League defeat
17:38 West African leaders meet over Guinea coup
17:24 Kenyans voice fury over fuel price hike
17:08 UK not out to 'antagonise the French' with subs deal: defence minister
16:27 EU 'not informed' on US, UK and Australia alliance
15:44 Russia election breaks the law, says Ukraine
15:33 Grealish fires as Messi falters and it's bleak for Barca - Champions League.....
14:42 Several arrests over German synagogue attack threat: source close to case
13:09 Egypt’s national team director confident ahead of Libya games in World Cup qualifiers
12:50 Germany indict 4, including US citizen, for supporting Nusra
12:21 Egypt's coronavirus cases continue to rise; 531 new infections, 13 deaths recorded.....
12:13 After Kimmich, Goretzka also extends Bayern contract
12:01 UN chief urges 'rapid' emission cuts to curb climate change
12:00 French forces kill IS Sahel jihadist leader wanted by US
Readers Picks
Most Viewed
1. Egypt, Sudan welcome UNSC statement on GERD, Ethiopia claims it's not binding
2. Turkey's game: The S400 U-turn
3. Afghanistan in historical context
4. Egypt, Libya ink 14 MoUs, 6 agreements in multiple fields
5. Egypt planning to vaccinate 12- to 18-year-olds against coronavirus: Health ministry spokesperson
6. At least 50 killed in Yemen clashes: Military sources
7. Egyptian, Libyan ministers discuss enhancing cooperation on land and dry ports
8. Egypt received plan from DR Congo to resume AU-sponsored GERD talks: FM Shoukry
Ahram online
© 2010 Ahram Online.
Find us on Google+Find us on facebookFind us on twitter
HomeEgyptBusinessOpinionWorldArts & CultureTokyo 2020SportsLife & StyleHeritageBooksAnalysisFolkMultimedia