english.ahram.org.eg
South, North Korea reopen hotlines as leaders seek to rebuild ties
Reuters , Tuesday 27 Jul 2021

Tweet
South and North Korea have restored hotlines that Pyongyang severed a year ago when ties deteriorated sharply, and the two countries' leaders are renewing efforts to rebuild relations, Seoul's presidential office said on Tuesday.
The decision on the hotlines was made by South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un who have exchanged multiple letters since April when they marked the third anniversary of their first summit, said Moon's press secretary, Park Soo-hyun.
North Korea's state news agency, KCNA, also said all inter-Korean communication channels resumed operation at 10 a.m. Tuesday (0100 GMT) in line with an agreement between Moon and Kim.
The hotlines are a rare tool to bridge the two Koreas, but it was unclear whether their reconnection would expedite any meaningful restart of negotiations aimed at dismantling Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programmes. 
"The two leaders have explored ways to recover relations by exchanging letters on several occasions, and agreed to restore severed hotlines as a first step for that process," Park said in a statement. "They have also agreed to regain trust as soon as possible and foster progress on relations again."
KCNA touted the reopening of the hotlines as "a big stride in recovering mutual trust and promoting reconciliation."
A senior official of the U.S. administration, which has sought unsuccessfully to persuade North Korea to return to talks over its nuclear program, welcomed the announcement.
"The United States supports inter-Korean dialogue and engagement," the official said. "Diplomacy and dialogue are essential to achieving complete denuclearisation and to establishing permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula."
United Nations spokesman Farhan Haq said U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres also welcomed the announcement.
"The Secretary-General fully supports the continued efforts of the parties towards the improvement of their relationship, sustainable peace and complete and verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," he said.
NUCLEAR STALEMATE
North Korea cut the lines in June 2020 as cross-border ties soured after a failed second summit in February 2019 between Kim and then U.S. President Donald Trump, which Moon had offered to mediate. 
Then the North blew up a joint liaison office, launched on its soil in 2018 to foster better ties with the South, plunging relations to their lowest ebb under Moon.
Seoul's defence ministry confirmed that twice-daily regular communication was resumed via a military hotline on Tuesday.
The Unification Ministry, which handles inter-Korean affairs, also said telephone lines installed at the border truce village of Panmunjom were restored.
Moon had called for a revival of the hotlines and offered a video summit with Kim to avoid the coronavirus, but Pyongyang has previously responded with scathing criticism, saying it had no intention to talk to Seoul.
North Korea has not formally confirmed any COVID-19 outbreaks, but it closed its borders and took strict anti-virus measures, seeing the pandemic as a matter of national survival.
Park said Moon and Kim have agreed to work together to fight the pandemic but did not discuss any possible summit, in-person or virtual.
The exchange of letters came ahead of Moon's summit with U.S. President Joe Biden in May, where the leaders displayed their willingness to engage the North. 
But it still remains to be seen whether Pyongyang was ready to return to negotiations, with Biden's administration seeking a "reliable, predictable and constructive" way to bring progress. 
"It's just a reconnection of the lines they'd cut unilaterally," said Moon Seong-mook, a retired South Korean military general who previously led inter-Korean talks.
"North Korea would still wonder what's the point in talking to the South, as the North wants substantive easing of sanctions, but there's nothing we can do on that."
James Kim of the Asan Institute for Policy Studies in Seoul said Pyongyang might mean to show some willingness to respond to U.S. overtures, but warned against reading too much into the latest move.
"We need to see some seriousness on Pyongyang's part to move towards denuclearisation for us to say that there is genuine progress," Kim said.
Search Keywords:
South Korea-
North Korea-
Asia-
Short link:
 
Related
US lets Iran use frozen funds to pay back Japan, S.Korea
South Korea signs 20-year LNG deal with Qatar
N.Korea dismisses US humanitarian aid as 'sinister scheme'
Leaders of North Korea, China vow greater cooperation in face of foreign hostility: KCNA
Latest
23:01 Spain La Liga results & scorers (5th matchday)
22:39 Italy Serie A results & scorers (4th matchday)
22:30 Two jihadist commanders killed in Syria drone strikes: Monitor
22:26 Spain judge gives UEFA 5 days to acknowledge Super League ruling
21:23 Boris Johnson tells world leaders 'frustrated' at climate inaction
21:17 Newcomers Pharco continue spending spree as they sign Sudanese forward Saifeldin.....
20:57 Musiala, Ulreich injured in Bayern Munich training
20:52 US blasts 'dangerous' rhetoric by ally of Ethiopia PM
20:38 Iran destroys headquarters of 'counter-revolutionary' groups in northern Iraq:.....
19:43 Australian ref to become 1st overseas official in EPL game
19:22 COVID has killed about as many Americans as the 1918-19 flu
19:14 Biden easing foreign travel restrictions, requiring vaccines
17:25 Lens to play in empty stadium following fan violence
17:25 Protesters target London's major ring road for 4th time
16:29 UK asserts full support to Libyan government
15:50 Jordan's Jerash Festival to kick off this week, Egyptian artists set to participate
15:49 Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
15:33 Fearsome in attack, Dortmund again has problems in defense
15:09 Egypt’s mobile coronavirus vaccination campaign expands in 15 governorates
14:31 African players in Europe: Liverpool's 100-goal Mane punishes Palace again
14:27 Protesters against Sudan peace deal block roads, close key port
13:30 Lava from Spanish volcano heads toward sea; no injuries
13:28 Egypt’s Healthcare Insurance Agency’s revenues edge up 36%, investment returns.....
12:35 UK says relations with France strong despite sub deal anger
12:35 FIFA sets talks with soccer leaders on biennial World Cup
12:30 Macron asks 'forgiveness' for French treatment of Algerian Harki fighters
11:50 Five dead in Russian campus shooting: Investigators
11:05 NKorea slams US over submarine deal, warns countermeasures
10:20 Tennis: Belgium recovers from 2-0 down to beat Bolivia in Davis Cup
09:51 Communications ministry allocates EGP 1.1bln for digital capacity building
Readers Picks
Most Viewed
1. Spain La Liga results & scorers (5th matchday)
2. Italy Serie A results & scorers (4th matchday)
3. Egypt reiterates 'steadfast' support to political solution in Yemen
4. PHOTO GALLERY: Niger's herders celebrate annual festival for nomad people in Ingall
5. US court drops lawsuit against Egypt's former PM
6. 'I just cry': Dying of hunger in Ethiopia's blockaded Tigray
7. Egypt receives Chinese offer to operate and manage business district at New Administrative Capital
8. Egypt reports 653 new coronavirus cases, 19 deaths on Sunday
Ahram online
© 2010 Ahram Online.
Find us on Google+Find us on facebookFind us on twitter
HomeEgyptBusinessOpinionWorldArts & CultureTokyo 2020SportsLife & StyleHeritageBooksAnalysisFolkMultimedia