4CLS provides access to a collection of high-quality, accurate, electronic resources. Some of these databases are made possible through NOVELny, the New York Online Virtual Library, a public information network for New Yorkers. Others are provided by the Four County Library System.
These resources are available at no cost to registered users of the libraries that subscribe to the Research Center. Speak with your librarian if your library has not yet signed up for the Research Center.
*Indicates access to database requires a card from a Four County Library System subscribing library, all other databases are accessible without a 4CLS card but are restricted to New York State only.
Business & Finance
- Business Insights Essentials--Company profiles, industry reports, and finance reports, plus more than 3900 business magazines and newspapers.
- *Weiss Finacial Ratings Series Online--Powered by Weiss Ratings and Grey House Publishing, this website gives you powerful new tools to protect your finances, invest wisely, grow your wealth, and learn more about your finances.. Provided by 4CLS.
Current Events, Magazines & Newspapers
- Digital Archive of the Afton Free Library--This digital archive covers the southeast area of Chenango County for the years 1876-1957 and is provided by the Afton Free Library. Publications include the Afton Enterprise, Afton Enterprise and Harpursville Budget, Afton Weekly Enterprise, Courier, Home Sentinel, The Afton Daily Enterprise, and the Weekly Press.
- Digital Archives of the George F. Johnson Memorial Library--This digital archives covers publications in the Endicott area for the years 1856-1951. Publications include the Daily Bulletin, Endicott Bulletin, Endicott Daily Bulletin, Endicott-Johnson Workers Review, Endicott Times, Johnson City Endicott Record, News Dispatch, The Record, Union Endicott News, and The Union Weekly News. Additional local resources, including U-E High School yearbooks, E-J Workers Review, and Miscellaneous Local Documents can be found on the library's Online Resources page.
- Digital Archives of the Guernsey Memorial Library --This digital archive covers the Norwich area for the years 1816-1938, and 2015-2016. Publications include the Anti Masonic Telegraph, Chenango Semi Weekly Telegraph, Chenango Telegraph, Chenango Telegraph and Chronicle, Chenango Union, Evening Sun, Morning Sun, Norwich Journal, and Norwich Sun.
- Digital Archives of the Sherburne Public Library-- This digital archive covers The Sherburne News in all its incarnations, including the Home News (1864-1865), Sherburne Home News (1865-1868), Sherburne News (1868-2017) and The Sherburne News (2018-2019) In addition, it will soon include Sherburne and Sherburne-Earlville High School yearbooks from 1944-1979, with the eventual aim of including all years up until the present.
- Digital Archives of the William B. Ogden Free Library--This digital archive covers publications in the Walton, NY area for the years 1856-2011, and is provided by the William B. Ogden Free Library. Publications include the Walton Blade, Walton Chronicle, Walton Cyclone, Walton Journal and Walton Reporter.
- *Flipster--A one-stop-shop for Digital Magazines that can be downloaded to your computer or tablet.
- InfoTrac Newsstand--Full-text newspapers, including the New York Times from 1995- and more than 1000 major US regional, national, and local newspapers (33 from New York State).
- National Newspaper Index--Contains indexing of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, and The Washington Post.
- NYS Historic Newspapers -- This state wide project provides free online access to a wide range of newspapers chosen to reflect New York's unique history.
- New York State Newspapers--A database of 33 major newspapers published in the State of New York: the Albany Times Union, New York Times, Newsday, Buffalo News, Post-Standard (Syracuse), Watertown Daily Times, Times Herald-Record (Middletown) and others.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context--More than 13,000 pro/con viewpoints on current issues.
Encyclopedias & Almanacs
- Britannica Academic: Includes Encyclopedia Britannica plus Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, magazines and periodicals, and many other research tools.
- Britannica Escolar: Accurate and age-appropriate content in Spanish for native Spanish speakers, bilingual students and students learning Spanish. Available at two levels—primary and secondary.
- Britannica School: A source for all grades (Pre-K-12) and all reading abilities. Available at three levels--elementary, middle, and high.
- Kids InfoBits--Contains over 100 age-appropriate magazines for grades K-5. Also includes Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary, maps, flags, seals, charts, and graphs.
- Research in Context: Contains magazines, newspapers, primary sources and videos for students in grades 6 to 8.
- Ancestry Library Edition (available only in the library)--The leading genealogical resource for researching your family history. Provided by 4CLS.
- Ancestry.com New York -- Portions of Ancestry.com pertaining to New York are free to NY state residents. The New York State Archives partnered with Ancestry to digitize some NY state records of interest to genealogists. The resulting databases are free if you live in New York State.
- Ask the Family Finder -- Local help with family research in the Four County area. Available to both local and out of state researchers.
- Family Search--Records, resources, and services for genealogical research; especially good for state census data.
- Fulton History--Access to more than 16 million pages of historical New York State newspapers as well as historical postcards.
- HathiTrust--HathiTrust is a partnership of academic & research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world
- National Archives --A helpful website that details what information is available from each year of the U.S. Census Records, 1790-1940.
- Academic One File--Multimedia research information, with an emphasis on the hard sciences, engineering, and business, as well as agriculture, criminal justice, environmental studies, pop culture, psychology, war, and terrorism.
- Gale Databases-- Comprehensive suite of electronic resource provided by NOVELny covering diverse subjects such as science, engineering, business, agriculture, criminal justice, environmental studies, pop culture, psychology, war, history and terrorism.
- General One File--A comprehensive general-interest database with journal articles, as well as travel guides, transcripts from National Public Radio, and television video files.
Health and Wellness
- *Consumer Health Complete (new to the Research Center) Consumer oriented health information designed to support the health needs of our patrons. Information covers all areas of health and wellness, including mainstream, holistic, and integrated treatments. Provided by 4CLS.
- Health Reference Center Academic --A medical database with journal articles, reference books, pamphlets, and online videos covering medicine, health, and nursing topics.
- Merck Manuals --Merck Manuals are one of the world’s most widely used medical information resources. The Manuals have committed to making the best current medical information accessible by up to 3 billion health care professionals and patients on every continent by 2020.
Job Help & Practice Tests
- Driving-Test.org--Free DMV permit practice tests. This resource will help you prepare for the theory portion of your permit test.
- FreeTestPrep--Resources for preparing to take the ACT, SAT, and GED, including practice questions, flashcards, admissions essays, articles, and guides.
- Online Learning Through Coursera--The New York State Department of Labor is partnering with Coursera, the leading online training provider. Through Coursera, you will have access to nearly 4,000 programs across high-growth industries and can hone skills in data science, business, and technology. Many of these programs are pathways to certifications, professional certificates and can help elevate your career.
- GotResumeBuilder.com is a free, easy-to-use online resume builder. Users can easily access GotResumeBuilder.com on any device. Features include comprehensive resume tutorial, editable templates designed by professionals, live previews for design changes, instant downloads for multiple file formats and much more.
*Transparent Languages Online--Transparent Language Online offers the most comprehensive language-learning solution for libraries. With this flexible program, you can quickly and easily learn new languages using our wide variety of courses and activities.
- Best Free Reference Web Sites--An index to the best websites for reference work from the Reference and Users Services Association, a division of the American Library Association.
- Digital Library of America--A portal to digital information from libraries, archives, and museums, with access by timeline, format, map, and topic.
- *First Search Base Package from OCLC--A portal with access to WorldCat for 179+ million library records, ArticleFirst for the table of contents to more than 16 thousand journals, Proceedings, WorldCat Dissertations, and the Union List of Serials as well as citation indexes from ERIC, GPO, OIAster, and MEDLINE. Provided by 4CLS.
*Literary Reference Center--Full-text reference works, books, and literary journals on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and timeframes. Provided by 4CLS.
Spanish Language Resources
La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre--A Spanish language encyclopedia written from a Latin American perspective with timelines, maps, and an events calendar.
- EngageNY--Information on New York State's P-12 Common Core Learning Standards.
- *Teacher Reference Center--An index to 260+ titles from the most popular teacher and administrator trade journals, periodicals and books. Provided by 4CLS.
- Educators Reference Complete: Resource for educators and education students. Provides access to periodicals covering pre-school to college and most educational specialties. Includes full-text for many titles cited in ERIC.
Four County Library System304 Clubhouse Rd.Vestal, NY 13850Phone 607.723.8236 | Fax 607.723.1722Contact Us