This policy is maintained by the Wikimedia Foundation to apply to Foundation activities.
Board and staff members
Wikimedia Foundation Travel Approvals Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that all travel on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) is appropriate and authorized. This policy applies only to travelers whose expenses are being paid by the WMF. All travel expenses are subject to the overall travel policy: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Travel_Policy.
Overall statement of policy
A WMF traveler is a WMF employee, board member or any other person who travels on authorized WMF business.
The traveler shall:
- Become familiar with the provision of the aforementioned travel policy before departure;
- Obtain prior approval for the trip as described below; and
- Submit travel expense claims with necessary supporting documentation, including receipts and explanations as required.
Procedures and guidelines
- Prior to departing on any travel on behalf of the WMF, the traveler will seek approval for the trip in writing, as per the “Approvals - roles and responsibilities” described below.
- The request for approval should include: The destination for the trip, the duration, the purpose (including a list of activities or a specific agenda), as well as the approximate expected cost.
- Arrangements for travel should not be made until written approval has been received.
- Upon return, a travel expense claim form must be completed and signed by the individual who authorized the travel. For Board member expenses, the form will be completed and signed by the Executive Director or someone designated by them to do so.
- Depending on the purpose of the trip, the approver may request a summary report from the traveler, after he/she has returned. This summary report should include accomplishments and findings that can potentially be shared with others.
Approvals: Roles and responsibilities
- A WMF employee who will be traveling on WMF business that is out of state (for travelers located in the United States) or out of country (for travelers located outside the United States) shall require written authorization from the Executive Director;
- The Executive Director who will be traveling on WMF business that is out-of-country shall require written authorization from a member of the Board of Trustees, preferably the Chair or Vice-Chair;
- A member of the Board of Trustees who will be traveling on WMF business out-of-country shall require written authorization from the Chair of the Board or his/her delegate;
- The Chair of the Board of Trustees who will be will be traveling on WMF business out-of-country shall require written authorization from any two other members of the Board of Trustees.
- When the Executive Director or any member of the Board of Trustees travels on WMF business, he/she will write a summary report, upon return, which will be sent to the Board of Trustees.
The approver shall:
- Determine whether travel is necessary;
- Pre-authorize travel (in writing); and
- Ensure that any expenses reimbursed or paid for by WMF are in compliance with the overall travel policy (https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Travel_Policy) and approve expenses in accordance with this policy.
This page was last edited on 26 September 2018, at 20:42.