Online Library Card Application - Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Online Library Card Application?
The Online Library Card Application allows library patrons to self-register online for a temporary (30-day) library card. Patrons will need to visit an Allegheny County Public Library to upgrade their card.
Who is eligible for Online Library Card Application?
Access Pennsylvania is a project of the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Office of Commonwealth Libraries to promote resource sharing among Pennsylvania Libraries.
An Access Pennsylvania library card is a library card from your local library in the state of Pennsylvania with a blue Access Pennsylvania sticker on it. For more information about Access Pennsylvania or to see if your local library is a participant, go to: http://www.accesspa.state.pa.us/
What can I do with my Online Library Card?
You may immediately
place requests on library material in The Catalog
What can't I do with my Online Library Card?
You will be asked to upgrade to a full service library card in order to do any of the following:
How do I sign up for the Online Library Card?
How do I upgrade to a full service library card?
Please bring your current photo identification with proof of address to any Allegheny County Public Library to receive your permanent library card. A signature is required from a parent/legal guardian when picking up a library card for a minor.
Acceptable photo identification
- PA Driver's License
- PA Identification Card
- Other US State's Driver's License if accompanied by local address verification (see below)
- Expired PA Driver's License if accompanied by local address verification
- State ID
- Military ID
- Work ID
- Student ID
- Medical Insurance Card
Acceptable Proof of Address
- PA Learner's Permit
- Vehicle registration card
- Vehicle insurance card
- Medical insurance card (if carries address information)
- Lease/Rental agreement (house, apartment, dormitory)
- Property tax receipt
- Utility bill (electric, gas, telephone, water-dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Paycheck (dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Bank Account statement (dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Credit Card billing statement (dated within 4-6 weeks)
Not Valid Identification
(Unacceptable identification includes, but is not limited to, the following:)
- Hand-addressed/personal mail
- Business cards
- Sales receipts
- Magazine subscriptions
- Junk bulk mail
- Social Security card
- Birth Certificate
Do I have to upgrade to a full service library card?
Yes. The temporary library card expires in 30 days. Any requests placed on this card will be automatically canceled and the card will be deleted if the card is not upgraded with the 30 day period.